Swimming in an Intex pool while electricity is hooked up

It varies with the specific model. Some of the less expensive pumps don't have all the safety systems (either double insulation or bonding) that the more expensive pumps have and so are not considered safe for someone to be in the pool while the pump is on because of the small chance of electrocution.

As Jason said, it's either that they're not designed with the systems in place or they just haven't gone through the process of having them certified. It makes no difference either way.

If you look at the manual there's a statement to that effect. Here's the statement from the manuals.
  • Do not operate this product when the pool is occupied.[/*:m:100603m1]

I've looked at three different manuals and they all say the same thing.

Thanks for the replies,

If any pump equipment is certified to UL AGP standards would that make them safe to run while the pool is occupied?
Could the warning be because of possible entrapment from the suction?

No trying to create any problems just trying to find out how a "Pool" company could sell electrical items for water and not be safe.

:cheers:

I think as stated earlier it has to do with bonding and stray currents. In a regular pool you can run the pump and swim at the same time because when the pump motor is bonded to the pool it creates a (for lack of a better term) loop for the current. If there were to be a short or something where the ground outside the pool becomes electified, you can get shocked when that electricity passes into the water. Or if you step out of the pool it can happen. If the motor is bonded to the pool the current becomes equlized inside and out and minimizes the risk for shock.

Most intex pumps are run by an extension cord plugged into an outside oulet or run off an extension cord...There may not be a GFSI anywhere on the line. Thus you open yourself up to danger of shock by operating this pump while in the pool. I would not chance it.

cubbybeave08 said:
I think as stated earlier it has to do with bonding and stray currents. In a regular pool you can run the pump and swim at the same time because when the pump motor is bonded to the pool it creates a (for lack of a better term) loop for the current. If there were to be a short or something where the ground outside the pool becomes electified, you can get shocked when that electricity passes into the water. Or if you step out of the pool it can happen. If the motor is bonded to the pool the current becomes equlized inside and out and minimizes the risk for shock.

Most intex pumps are run by an extension cord plugged into an outside oulet or run off an extension cord...There may not be a GFSI anywhere on the line. Thus you open yourself up to danger of shock by operating this pump while in the pool. I would not chance it.
Thanks for the reply,

I understand bonding and grounding and sinse these units don't have a bonding lug they are only UL certified for use with "Storable" pools and GFCI recepticals are required. So from what I'm reading is that as long as the Intex equipment has GFCI protection inline on the cord (which the sand filter/pump combo does) and or plugged in to a GFCI receptical then they would be fine?
So could Intex be warning people not to use there equipment because people might use a NON GFCI receptical and not know any better? I certanly would not want that liability on my company.

Without cutting my cord to see I'm not sure but the UL listing that is on the pump and the SWG says it meets the criteria by being double insulated and having a 25' cord that is grounded at the plug. The pump also has a GFCI circut on the cord at the plug.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If it is double insulated and has a GFCI built in, it satisfies code requirements. So the comment in the manual might just be to provide some additional legal protection. Or it might simply still be there from when they were not UL listed.

crookm11 said:
cubbybeave08 said:

Thanks for the reply,

I understand bonding and grounding and sinse these units don't have a bonding lug they are only UL certified for use with "Storable" pools and GFCI recepticals are required. So from what I'm reading is that as long as the Intex equipment has GFCI protection inline on the cord (which the sand filter/pump combo does) and or plugged in to a GFCI receptical then they would be fine?
So could Intex be warning people not to use there equipment because people might use a NON GFCI receptical and not know any better? I certanly would not want that liability on my company.

I would guess that is exactly why...I know I didn't...I just ran an extension cord out to the pool and plugged it in. When I learned about bonding and GFCIs when I put my big boy pool in...I was like...holy Crud...that intex wasn't really safe...I know that INTEX equipment doesn't have any real safety measures in them...At least not the one I had which was 5 years old when I bought my AGP 4 years ago.

Ok...I'm about to install the pump/swg that I got from Walmart last year. Now the pool is a good 50' away from the house...last year we ran the skimmer pump on a GFCI extension cord, but we unplugged it before we got into the pool. I don't think we can run the new pump/filter on that extension cord this year. I'm I correct? With Leo unemployed at the moment we don't have the cash to install a dedicated outlet at the pool to connect the pump and the light to. I'm sure it will cost hundreds of dollars for that to happen. Guess we will be using the skimmer filter again this year until we can get the new outlet installed. Bummer!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.