Electrical going to pool area question with pic

May 7, 2011
The more I research this pool stuff the more I'm getting overwhelmed!! From everything I've read you can't/shouldn't run the pools filter and SWS off and extension cord. So, that means we need to run electrical out to the pool area. What are the requirements? I think I read that the outlet needs to be at least 5 feet from the pool and that the buried line can't go under the pool. Is this true? What if you want the filter on the back side of the pool in the corner of your yard? How close can the buried line go to the pool? Here is the area that we are thinking of putting the pool 15X48 metal frame intex pool (we will move the swing set to another area in the yard)
DSCF0014-2.jpg

We would put the pool pretty much were the swing set is now. Wouldn't the best place for the filter be along the fence or in the corner near the shed? The problem is that the electrical line is going to be coming from the left...wouldn't it need to go under the area where the pool is going to go/or at least very close to it? Would it make more sense to have the power be run to the shed and then have an outlet put on the side of the shed?

I feel like I'm making this whole thing way more complicated then it has to be :oops: . I hope this makes sense. Thanks in advance for your replies!!

It partly depends if your area counts the pool as permanent or temporary. The rules are different for the two kinds, and which pools are counted as each kind varies. In any case, the power line can't come within 5 feet horizontally of the water at any point unless it is very high up in the air.

Running power to the shed makes sense. That will be a good place to have an outlet even if the pool is removed in the future.

They figure that any pool aver 24ft is a permanent installation.

You may be making this harder than it has to be, but it's better to over think it now than to have it bite you later. Since and Intex isn't supposed to have any electricity ran to it when swimming you may be ok, but as Jason said, It all depends on your localities regulations.

I agree that running power to the shed is a good idea. Then you could set the equipment right next to it.

mapoolgirl said:
Just to clarify, they said any pool over 24 inches deep requires a permit. Thanks so much for your replies!

Many municipalities insist that your pool equipment is on a dedicated circuit, which means that it has it's own circuit breaker, and it is the only thing on that circuit. I ran a line direct from the box in my basement through the basement wall and under my deck, out into the yard and then to the post on the back side of the pool. There will be certain set backs that you have to fall with in. My pool couldn't be less than 10 ft away from utility easment, it had to be 15 feet from each property line and had to be a certain distance from my house. I had to draw plans on my property plot, and turn those in. They had to be precise in measurement. Not all municipalities are as goofy as mine...but they eventold me what Kind of ladder system I had to have.

Bama Rambler said:
They figure that any pool aver 24ft is a permanent installation.

You may be making this harder than it has to be, but it's better to over think it now than to have it bite you later. Since and Intex isn't supposed to have any electricity ran to it when swimming you may be ok, it.

could you explain this. do you mean the pump, etc shouldnt be running/plugged in while swimming. We have been doing it for years. Are they not safe?

If you look in the Intex pump manual, they say not to go in the pool while the pump is running. I'm not completely sure why they say that, most likely because they don't have the correct safety certifications.

Likewise in NY any pool deeper than 24" is considered a permanent pool and must meet pool saftey/electrical code requirements.

Not to scare you even more, I never even thought to check into this when we owned an intex 15'x36" pool for two years. Nothing ever happened to us either, but technically the town inpector could have cited me or even worse had there been an "accident" involving the pool, I doubt any insurance co would cover a pool that is not up to code...Intex or not (the law does not care who manufactures the pool). Pools are a great source of entertainment and cooling relief for the summer months, but like anything else, the risks of drowing or electricution should be taken seriously and safe gaurded against as much as possible. That why certain areas have a minimum code in place, they may sound like a pain to comply with, but they are in place to protect you and your family.

Here is a very informative link on the NYS requirements

http://www.dos.state.ny.us/DCEA/pdf/PoolsumUC0708.pdf

You can check with your town to see if your state has similar guidlines :goodjob:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
JasonLion said:
If you look in the Intex pump manual, they say not to go in the pool while the pump is running. I'm not completely sure why they say that, most likely because they don't have the correct safety certifications.

Im probably thinking because of lack of bonding and people probably use extension cords to run these types of pools for the season which also means the plug there plugging in may not be GFCI Protected.

Thank you all for the replies!! Tomorrow I'll go down to the town hall and hopefully they will be able to give me some specific information on what we need to do. I really want to do this right and my number one priority is to have a safe and clean pool that my family and friends can enjoy.

mapoolgirl said:
Thank you all for the replies!! Tomorrow I'll go down to the town hall and hopefully they will be able to give me some specific information on what we need to do. I really want to do this right and my number one priority is to have a safe and clean pool that my family and friends can enjoy.

yep you do want to do it right...because if the inspector catches you doing something not to code...they can make you tear it up and start over doing it the right way. This only costs you more money and more effort in the long run.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.