Opening My Pool Today - water testing

Easto

Jun 27, 2010
I am opening up the pool today, some time this afternoon.

I have a TF100 test kit that I am dying to use.

How long after opening the pool and running the pump should I wait until I test the water to get accurate readings?

I have a new question now.

I had some help opening the pool today, the pool builder came by and showed me how to get it going. They left and I was left with a bunch of Crud on the bottom since I use a safety cover, the water however is clear.

I hook up the vacuum to the skimmer and started to clean up. There was very little suction and the vacuum was only cleaning a 3" strip essentially right where the hose connects to the vacuum head, not the entire width of the vacuum head.

I went and closed off all the valves except for the skimmer and I got the same thing.

I called the pool builder and he was puzzled. He asked me to pull the hose off and see if there was any suction coming from the skimmer. I did that and the section was VERY strong. He is going to come check it out tomorrow.

I then took the vacuum head off the vacuum and I felt like the suction coming from the hose was very good. But as soon as I attach the vacuum head the section coming from the vacuum head is terrible.

Is it likely the vacuum that came in the start kit is Crud and the connection between the hose and vacuum head isn't tight?

Bama Rambler said:
If it's a manual vacuum you should be able to see through the hole in the vac head.

It's a manual vacuum and there are no obstructions. It is very puzzling. The vacuum head is about 12" wide, but I am only able to clean a 3" wide strip. With an 18x36 pool it is going to take hours. It is only cleaning right where the hose connects to the head.

Is it possible that the hose and vacuum head don't make a sufficient connection?

Is there a safe way to test if the hose or this connection is bad?

I just came inside after 1.5 hours of vacuuming. It started to rain so I called it quits and came back inside.

Yesterday when we opened the pool and PSI was 2 and I just checked it before coming in and it was around 3. I didn't check while vacuuming, so I can't comment on that portion.

I also added 3000g of CYA today, so I don't want to have to open the filter and clean it right now, but I'll do what I have to do.

I might not get out to the pool tomorrow to try vacuuming some more, I have to work.

I did notice that if I put a lot of downward pressure on the vacuum, it cleaned better. I don't think that is the answer to my issue however as I don't think I should have to do this.

I called the Pool Builder so hopefully he comes before the weekend to check things out.

So far I have put about 2.5 hours of vacuuming into the pool and another 1.5 hours to go, but that won't even take care of the nooks and crannies because the vac won't hit these parts.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
What exactly should I look for? Does the amount of air bubbles matter, or are any air bubbles bad ? I should take a pic. If I do have air what do I need to do to take care of the problem ?

If there is no air, then it sounds like you have a restriction on the suction side of the system. The flow back in to the pool should be very strong.....it's probably not.

Could be a piece of construction debris or it could be a valve not opened fully (not likely) but I would start to inspect the entire suction side.

The returns don't have as much pressure as one would think they should. If there was some sort of obstruction in one of the lines what would need to be done to clear the line? They are under thousands of dollars of concrete.

I will make sure to bring up the possibility that one of the suction lines may be blocked. Just so i don't look like I self diagnosed this problem with my limited knowledge ...... What are the things that lead you to think that was the problem? I am only asking so I can bring it to his attention

The very low pressure of the filter is the biggest indicator. With a single speed pump, I don't ever recall a report of a pressure that low. It should be in the 10 psi or above range. And throw in the poor vacuuming issue.

Sure. Low pressure on the gauge and low flow back to the pool. If the system was restricted/blocked AFTER the pump you would still have low flow at the returns but HIGH pressure.

Low pressure on the gauge is almost always a sign of air in the lines (you don't have that) or something restricting the water from adequately getting to the pump.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.