Pentair CCP 420 vs Quad DE 60

briansturgeon

LifeTime Supporter
Feb 22, 2011
Cincinnati, Ohio
A few questions regarding Pentair Clean Clear Plus 420 vs Quad DE 60. I know that DE filters better but can be a littler more work. I know sand is the easiest to maintain but is least effective in filtering. If I am going to go with one of the two above which would be best? My "new" PB recommends the CCP 420 to everyone because he said it is easier to maintain. Just clean once a year and I'm set. Our swim season is only May - Sept and we will have a 24K IG VL pool. I don't have to worry about DE regulations where I'm at.

1. Would the DE really be much more work since I would be taking the CCP apart once a year to clean cartridges anyway?
2. Would the DE really cost much more to maintain?
3. Which would you pick?

I think both would be sized well for our pool right? We are going with an Intelliflo SVRS pump as well.

Thanks.

1) Yes, DE really is more work. With a large DE filter like that one it won't be all that much more work, but at least a little more.
2) DE costs more, but not much more. DE isn't all that expensive.
3) Personally I would get the cartridge, but choosing which kind of filter to get is always a personal choice, there is no clear technical winner.

The CCP 420 is nominally a little larger than the Quad 60, more comparable to the Quad 80. Any of them will be fine. We do recommend getting the largest filter you can afford and have room for. So ideally you would be looking at the CCP 520 or Quad 100.

i'm in the exact same boat. just signed the paperwork on a new pool last week. the pb quoted a pentair 60 de filter but after researching i decided to use the ccp420 instead. even swap, about the same price.

i chose the cartridge for the infrequency of cleaning, ease of cleaning, lower pump pressure, and no backwashing (water wasting).

brian, i changed my mind, lol. after talking with the pb again i have decided to go with the regular ole pentair fns60 de filter. they have had no problems with them for many years and i do like the ability to drain the pool by backwashing if my cya level gets too high (and it will, i plan on using trichlor).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.