Happy bottom vs. perfect pool bottom vs. gorilla pad

MNmom

LifeTime Supporter
May 14, 2011
Hi all- We are planning an ABG to be decked up and left semi-permanently in place, so I am looking for the pool pad with the best durability. The pool we are getting has a 10 year warranty, so I'd like a pad that will last at least that long as well. So far, I've been able to determine:

1. Happy Bottom has NO warranty;
2. Perfect Pool Bottom (which I hadn't even heard of as long-time lurker here) has a 10 yr warranty; and
3. Gorilla Pad - ???- can't find any info.

I know #1 and# 3 serve somewhat different purposes (padding vs. puncture protection:) do people use both??

Also, how long do they last in anyone's experience, even if not warrantied?

#2 looks like it serves both purposes but is quite a bit more expensive, and isn't available in the size we want: we'd have to cut it way down.

Thanks - you guys (and gals) are great. I followed all your advice for last year's cheapo starter intex but am ready to move up to a more semi-permanent pool this year - whew, things get complicated quickly !! -MNmom

I can't tell you how long they last, with or without the warranty. What I can tell you is that I watched a friend install Happy Bottom and swam in the pool after it was in. It does have pieces with taped seams. It was ok. It did make me decide to order Gorilla Pad instead when we did our last liner replacement and I really love it. One piece construction, cut to fit your pool size, feels thicker than the Happy Bottom, it's a really thick-stretchy felt type material, don't think anything is growing through that stuff and the bottom feels sooooo nice. One of the nicest things we did for our pool. We had a plain sand bottom before with a sand cove. Gorilla pad, wall foam and foam cove. Much nicer, smooth. Wonderful.

MNmom- Welcome aboard!
Not to add confusion but another choice is styrofoam. The 2" pink, or yellow from the building supply store. It insulates the bottom of the pool from the cold ground, gives the floor of the pool a very nice cushion and protects the pool from rocks creeping up throught the floor. I have been using the same foam for about 10 years. and mine was taken up and stacked w/o any covering all winter. For the last 2 winters the foam has had my boat sitting on it w/o a problem. My setup is 6-36" of class 5 screened and tamped every 3". Aprox 1/2-1" of sand compacted, just to smooth and level the area. 2" pink styrofoam, gorilla tape on the seams, cut into a 18' foot circle. HD silver tarp covering the foam. 3/4" river rock 1' wide around the pool.
Most of my build here: planning-piping-and-questions-now-with-pics-t12625.html
Mike

I am in the midst of planning out my first AGP install and was also wondering if you simply leveled out the ground and put the Gorilla Pad down and the pool on top. I am reading so many different opinions about leveling with sand, or a clay based sand, etc etc. My head is spinning. ;) I just need help as I peruse this site. Thanks.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.