Sand in Pool, looking for a troubleshooting checklist

May 10, 2009
Hello all, last year I started to notice what at the time I thought was algae growth in my pool on the bottom around the return areas, well this year after opening I noticed the same thing, but this time upon closer examination it is sand. From some of my readings I know that there is a possibility for a crack in one of the laterals. But I have noticed that my valve has become noisy and a bit harder to turn when going to backwash. Can a bad valve allow sand to enter the pool. I fully intend on going into the pump to check the laterals but is there any kind of checklist that I should go through. Would it be wise to start with the valve, or go straight to the laterals?? Any help is greatly appreciated. I'm just looking for a guideline to follow through my possible repairs as I am doing this myself cuz just don't have the money to spend on a pool service. :hammer:

Are you sure that you are seeing filter sand in the pool? Could it perhaps be sand blown into the pool from somewhere else? Filter sand is very fine and very uniform. Sand from elsewhere tends to be much more varied.

No matter what the main valve does, sand should never come out of the filter, at least if the filter is working correctly. So the main valve isn't the problem.

There isn't anything easy to try. The next step is to open up the filter, get the sand out (gently!) and examine both the laterals and every pipe and joint you can inside the filter. Usually sand coming out of the filter means a cracked lateral, but once in a while it is one of the larger pipes that breaks, or a joint that isn't sealing correctly somewhere else inside the filter.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.