Pool Opening?

Jun 27, 2010
Piketon, OH
Just opened the pool today. Everything went smooth with the start up. My only issue is the psi on the filter is running at 50. Do I just need to backwash? Last year it mostly ran around 20. I want to get the water circulating so I can test and start adding chlorine. The only thing I tested before I turned on the pump was pH. Is that correct? It was 7.5. Sorry to ramble. Thanks!

Sounds like a bad guage or possibly your returns are still plugged :scratch: When you turn the pump off, does the PSI guage return to zero? With the pump running, do you have good flow at the returns?

Never even thought to check with pump off. When I tried only went down to 30. Returns all flowing fine. Could 30 actually be my zero point? At 50 if didn't seem to be running hard like I would expect. Should I go ahead and test my water after running for 1 hour and them get chlorine to shock level based on my CYA?

As Scott mentioned, I would replce the guage. Test after 1 hr and adjust PH 1st, if needed, then you can raise FC to shock, but not required if you open to a clean pool and an FC residual. Post up your results and we can guide you from there :goodjob:

Looks good. Adjust PH to 7.2, this will lower TA some which is a bit high for a SWG pool. Bring it up to shock (FC of 20 with CYA at 50) and if the water is clear and you can pass the overnight FC loss test, you should be in good shape, if not continue shocking. After you are done shocking, you can raise your CYA to 70 or so, if you plan to continue to use a SWG.

My SWG stopped working last year and I don't think I will replace it right now so the pool is basically the BBB method. Do I still need to lower my pH and TA or should I just go ahead and shock? If I do lower pH, how long should I wait after I add the acid befor adding the bleach?

I would go ahead and lower the PH anyway, though it isn't nearly as important if you don't have a SWG. Wait half an hour after adding acid and then double check the PH to make sure it didn't accidentally get way off somehow before adding chlorine.

I replaced the pressure gauge and it is reading 16 which is more like normal. I have shocked the last 2 nights and plan to do an overnight test in the am. Here are my numbers from tonight.
FC 15
CC 0
TC 15
pH 7.5
TA 130
CH 280
CYA 40
temp 45

Am I on the right track? If I don"t lose any chlorine in the am then bring it back to normal range?
Thanks for the help

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.