Rusted Intex Frame

I've had my pool for 4 years now...and it's getting to look like that. Not as bad though, but in some places my thumb went through. Not on the upright posts, just on the ones that go around. I taped it up with duct tape.. I used salt for a long time, now I've put in chlorine (my chlorinator "died") Could the salt have accelerated the rust problem? And do you think I can get another season out of it? Yipes.

Last edited:
Those pics look exactly like my 20x48 Intex pool. Mine started showing rust during it's second season. We managed to get through the second season without it getting too extreme. However, by the third season the rust had progressed to the same point as yours. I chalk it up to having used the SWG. Salt is highly corrosive to steel and I won't make that mistake again. We replaced the pool with a 20x52 Intex. I will not be using the SWG with this pool. Hopefully I will get a lot more service out of this pool.

I noticed that the steel beams are not "powder coated/painted" on the inside and it seems the rust begins on the inside and eats all the way through. I assume the steel is galvanized but I am not sure about that. In any event, saltwater and steel do not go together. I feel Intex should warn against using the SWG with their steel frame pools. Maybe they feel they will sell more pools if people have to replace them every three years...

Hey to Everyone,
I have been lurking for a few weeks and decided to post about a problem I had with my Intex 15' pool.
As can be seen from the pics, the pool frame rusted out in two seasons. I was using the Intex SWCG.
I do not want to make any accusations against Intex, I'll let the pics do the talking.
All my numbers were kept in the safe ranges through out the two seasons. I really do not have
a clue what or how this happened. I'm not looking for any kind of reimbursement from Intex, I just want to let everyone
know what happened and if there is anyone else who may have had a similar problem.
I am in the process of installing another above ground pool (not Intex).
Thanks,
Stan

MiscPics118.jpg

MiscPics111.jpg

MiscPics115.jpg

MiscPics112.jpg

MiscPics110.jpg

MiscPics109.jpg

The rust often happens under the top rail and you don't see it. The top of the rails look fine and you think the pool is fine. The rust, after one summer, was so bad I could put my finger through some of the pieces. Once it rusts, I feel the integrity is compromised and with all the swaying it does, I moved away from Intex. Safety matters.

So, in the case where a SWG is used, do the Sharkline pools hold up any better than the Intex Ultras? I'm curious as a 18' x 48" Sharkline isn't too much more than an Intex Ultra of the same size.

You cannot use a SWG with the Sharkline pools if you want to maintain the warranty. That is in the documentation. I believe the SWG can only be used with pools that are resin but do not quote me on that.

I do pose this question, have you considered just using bleach and not dealing with the SWG? I have done both and I feel that I stress a lot less with bleach than I did with the SWG. Just curious, not trying to change your mind or anything like that.

I never used a saltwater generator. I took inventory today. I am only replacing three verticle posts and two horizontal one's. In the off season I'm going to try and by a new one cheep. I'll post some pictures of the one's I replaced so everyone can see.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Seems like everyone who has rust issues is using SWG. It was asked previously, but does any one have rusty frame that isn't using SWG?

Another question, I'm on 3rd (and final) season with Intex metal frame/SWG, I can see some major rust holes on exposed frame sections. Should I just wrap duct tape around those or is there something else I could do to help my pool last at least this summer?

here is another thing that I've discovered. now it could be to early to reach this conclusion but i'm starting on my 4th year with the 18x52 ultra frame and using the SWG and since I installed the new overlap liner I haven't seen one sign of rust on any of the frame poles whatsoever. I believe the liner is protecting the top rails and upper sections of the legs from the salt water but I could be wrong. but I had the 16x48 and this is my second 18x52 and the first two rusted severely after 2 years. as I said this is the 4th year with this pool using the 20g overlap liner from in the swim and all is well!:D

also I bought a 4x50 ft privacy mesh screen used on fences and wrapped it around the outside of the pool mainly to hide all the bungie cords holding the liner in place. looks really good BTW and that could be helping to shield the legs some from the salt water. just my opinion!:D

here is another thing that I've discovered. now it could be to early to reach this conclusion but i'm starting on my 4th year with the 18x52 ultra frame and using the SWG and since I installed the new overlap liner I haven't seen one sign of rust on any of the frame poles whatsoever. I believe the liner is protecting the top rails and upper sections of the legs from the salt water but I could be wrong. but I had the 16x48 and this is my second 18x52 and the first two rusted severely after 2 years. as I said this is the 4th year with this pool using the 20g overlap liner from in the swim and all is well!:D

also I bought a 4x50 ft privacy mesh screen used on fences and wrapped it around the outside of the pool mainly to hide all the bungie cords holding the liner in place. looks really good BTW and that could be helping to shield the legs some from the salt water. just my opinion!:D

So just trying to see the whole picture -- You set up the Intex per normal, liner and all (but no water). Then you put down an overlap liner down in the shell, and up over the top rail and I guess partially down the outside sides? Is the overlap liner a regular pool liner? Do you leave it up all year - or can you drain and store the overlap liner and still use it the next year? Thanks. . .

basically yes. I bought another 18x52 ultra frame after the other pool had a tear on the bottom floor about 1ft-18in at the seam. then after the new pool was almost filled up I came outside and saw another tear in almost the same area but closer to the wall. could not use it so I decided to try the overlap liner that I had seen the other thread talking about this idea. well I have never looked back since then and it has not only worked perfect but I got rid of the plain blue overlap liner and have gotton the carribean liner with the fish. my grandkids love it! so I've put in 2 overlap liners and worked perfectly and as I said earlier this is the 4th year with this pool and SWG and NO SIGN OF RUST!!!

I leave it up all year and its a regular 52'' overlap 20g liner from in the swim.

crek31 I taped up the tears in the original intex liner and put the new liner in the shell of the intex pool smoothed it out as good as I could which turns out really nice. bought some tarp grabbers from amazon to hold the liner in place. then when the pool water was approaching the return opening I cut out the return opening and the thru the wall skimmer opening from the original intex liner and there you go!:D

BTW, you cannot take it down year after year because the overlap liner stretches and it cannot be reused but I cover mine up in the winter here in SW Georgia.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.