Installation this Week - Questions

Jan 11, 2011
Kansas City, MO
We are having a 27' above ground pool installed this week (thanks everyone for the advice in picking out the pool) and I have a few questions:

1. Should I be concerned with nutgrass (we live in the suburbs of Chicago)? We are having a sand base with foam cove put down (pool is not being buried besides the grade difference which I estimate to be about 10" from the front of the yard to the back). Does nutgrass even grown this far north (our lawn is well-established and healthy) I called and left a message for the installer but haven't heard back. Can I treat the area with roundup or something?

2. Is it essential that the skimmer is located downwind? The pool side closest to the house is the west side and we have prevailing west winds. It would be much easier to place the pump and filter on this side (less distance to run electricity).

3. Is there anything we should do to prep the area before the installation? Anything to watch with the installers (they are being contracted by the store we bought the pool from)?

4. Has anyone ever had the center of the pool dug a couple of inches deeper than the sides? I remember as a kid that my parents did this and a lot of the dirt would settle in the middle.

Thanks in advance!

I believe nutgrass is a southern issue. Some weeds and roots may cause problems but the installers will do site prep and shave off the sod down to firm base. Just be sure they watch for level from side to side all the way around. Lots of folks dish their pool center or end a bit. A lot is a problem without an expandable liner but a few inches is acceptable and commonly done (ours is 3"at the end) the liner must be installed in the sun for proper stretch. Get guarantees in writing. Installers do not reimburse water costs if there is a failure

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.