Dishwasher review

DaveNJ

LifeTime Supporter
May 22, 2007
Toms River, NJ
We had to get a new dishwasher a couple of months ago. The DW’s only input is that she wanted the quietest one available. We use it at least once a day.
Bosch
Senses water and adjusts wash time on how dirty the water is. – It seems to do this pretty well.
No drying element. – Water is heated on final rinse to 160f and the dishes are dry when it’s done. Plastic does not dry. Dishes are too hot to remove as soon as it’s finished.
Two removable screen filters in the bottom to filter out food particles. – Quarter turn to remove and rinse out in sink.
Removable top rack with water spray adapter. – Allows for very tall things to be washed, full height of dishwasher.
Quick wash 30min – Have used this once so far during a party and needed dishes. They came out clean.
Two pumps, one for wash and one for pumping to waste.
Noise 44db – The sound of the water going into the disposer is louder than the dishwasher.

Very happy so far. It’s built like a tank.
Just installed a Kenmore Elite for an in-law and its built by Bosch. This is an upper-middle model of the Bosch line.
I don’t think the Bosch will work for all installations. The bottom/base has two channels one for water line and one for electrical hook up. You cannot reach under this dishwasher as the base is the full size of the dishwasher and goes to the floor. If your lines aren’t long enough you would be hard pressed to install. The base has a sensor for water leaks and will shut the dishwasher off if it senses water.

Nice Review Dave. I'm just around the corner for new appliances. Not to threadjack, what color did you get and what are the general consensus on the stainless steel finishes? Worth it? Easily smudged? I heard they are harder to keep clean.

I'm going from 8 yr old beige/almond appliances where everything works fine except the refridgerator ice dispenser is not working properly (not sealing so frost forms on the discharge chute and cubes/crushed lever).
Keep an eye out...I may be placing them on the "Items For Sale" page.

Oh are we reviewing? I had a Bosch stove years ago and was very pleased with it. Sounds like you got a keeper with the new dishwasher. I know that Bosch and Whirlpool both do Kenmore.

I just bought a Kenmore side/side fridge last week and installed it (with the help of one relectant teenager) on Thursday night. VERY nice. Space saver ice maker (its in the door - not the inside of freezer), double filtered water, cubed/crushed ice dispenser with automatic lighting on the dispenser - nightlight sensor, filter condition sensor, dispensor lockout, filter cartridge in the bottom left corner grate (not inside/back), temp controls top front (not inside/back), enhanced lighting (meaning you can see at ALL levels of the inside) - sliding adjustable shelves, adjustable settings for meat/veg drawer, humidity selector, deli drawer AND I can fit 6 gallons of milk in the door along with tall wine bottles in one of the shelves - also room for tall things inside shelves too.

My fav part is the 6 gallons of milk in the door - we go through 9 gallons a week and the wine bottle thing - I hate having to put a wine bottle on its side after its been opened/recorked with the decorative thingy. No we don't drink it all at once.

I was able to get this thing home, remove and re-install the doors myself to get through my front door, assemble the shelving, etc., and install the water line, etc, with just minimal help from an extremely put out teenaged son (Southpark was on) The two boys helped me get it off the pickup into the house and pushed into the spot. Other than that, all me and it wasn't difficult or take long at all. I love my new fridge - was making ice within 40 mins and was cold enough in the freezer that the ice cream transfer from old to new fridge never resulted in melt of any kind even though I transferred within 10 mins of plugging in the new one. I adore appliances that do all the work for you!

Kenmore french door fridge. Can't close both doors at the same time, have to close one slightly ahead of the other. We didn't want the ice maker on door, just water. There's a deli drawer the full width of the fridge. Door alarms if left open, good for 4 kids (young adults). Freezer door tilts for access to ice and door shelf. Ice cubes dump into a tray that get knocked out if you slide out the drawer. Paint that gives the appearance of Stainless, no finger prints.

Ohhhh, I like that stainless finish too. Very nice looking. But, then I would have had to match up everything else in there wouldn't I??? DH would pass a brick. It sure was tempting - I'll bet your kitchen looks great. I thought about the French doors too - They really have a premium on space and look soooo nice, but I'm stuck on the idea of having crushed/cubed ice with the dispenser in the door - much too lazy to bend down, pull open the bottom freezer and get ice out of there. My kids are old enough to ignore or say no when I ask them to do it so I guess I have to now - water and ice on the door - a one stop shop so to speak. I like to drink water all day long and now its much easier.

Yep, on the milk issue - I thought of the cow thing years ago, nobody wants to do the work of milking though. Growing teenagers and both DH and I like milk too. Nope, the door does not sag - the new fridges appear to be designed to hold a lot in the doors so I specifically asked about heavy gallons of milk - its good to go.

Just to step in here, I work as a parts guy for an appliance repair shop.
I will concur that the Bosch units are very nice and for the price a good investment.
However I will say that after 20 years of doing parts that I tell people new appliances are going to last about 3 - 5 years and it's not that they can't be repaired its just not worth it.

I do suggest that if you plan on keeping your new appliances for any length of time to go ahead and buy the extended service contract they are worth the money nowadays and I can almost guarantee you that you will use it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Marillion Fan said:
go ahead and buy the extended service contract they are worth the money nowadays and I can almost guarantee you that you will use it.

No kidding, 15 days over the warranty on my Maytag French door fridge and the man circuit board took a dive. Maytag would not fix it and I had to shell out for the part.

Hmm.. Are we off topic here?

Crabboy, that makes me :x . We had our 'mother board' go out on our 11& 1/2 month old GE SS s/b side fridge....well, not exactly go out, just go kinda' crazy with the light fading, the water slower(with the light fading) , & the ice just quit...in the door, but we could still hand-dip it from the inside. We were having a family emergency (illness) and could not spend time with it. However, several months later, when we had time, we called and the GE rep replaced the 'brains/mother board" and did not charge us a penny. We expected to pay some $. Now, we were in shock :shock: over that! We are very much pleased with the service.....even after the 'year' stuff. Anyway, I am really surprised that Maytag would not make that right for you. Maybe you could call Corp office and/or tell them about the GE repairs......after warranty :shock: and get a little competition going on? Oops, sorry for going off topic............. :oops:

Joyce

It turns out that the main board failure on the Maytag is a very common problem. I've seen hundreds of posts on the internet regarding this and Maytag is now beginning to honor the repair outside of the warranty period. Knowing this I contacted Maytag about paying for my part $150 ( I installed it myself ) since I was only 15 days over and in not so few words they told me to take a hike.

We have a Kenmore side by side that sounds exactly like the one NWMNMom has, although it's obviously a previous model. Have had it for about 4 years now and it has been excellent. Previous Amana was great too but our house buyer wanted it as part of the deal :( .

As for me, it's Kenmore, Amana, GE or Whirlpool for all appliances. Our Maytag range that came with a previous house was a huge disappointment...various white components aging/yellowing at different rates, a finish that chipped if you looked at it, and a timer that went off only once when set. No options for anything different. If you didn't hear it, well, then you'd probably end up burning something for dinner :shock: . Never again! Sorry....off-topic, I know :oops: .

Anyone concerned about noise should check out Consumer Reports...they usually rate dishwasher, washer and dryer models by noise level. A Jenn-Air basic model in a previous house was the noisiest one we've ever had...you couldn't answer the phone or hear the radio or TV if it was running.

Crabboy...15 days and they told you to take a hike??? With a known issue like that, I'd be working my way up the chain to get reimbursement. Go for it!

dawndenise said:
We have a Kenmore side by side that sounds exactly like the one NWMNMom has, although it's obviously a previous model. Have had it for about 4 years now and it has been excellent. Previous Amana was great too but our house buyer wanted it as part of the deal :( .

As for me, it's Kenmore, Amana, GE or Whirlpool for all appliances. Our Maytag range that came with a previous house was a huge disappointment...various white components aging/yellowing at different rates, a finish that chipped if you looked at it, and a timer that went off only once when set. No options for anything different. If you didn't hear it, well, then you'd probably end up burning something for dinner :shock: . Never again! Sorry....off-topic, I know :oops: .

Anyone concerned about noise should check out Consumer Reports...they usually rate dishwasher, washer and dryer models by noise level. A Jenn-Air basic model in a previous house was the noisiest one we've ever had...you couldn't answer the phone or hear the radio or TV if it was running.

Crabboy...15 days and they told you to take a hike??? With a known issue like that, I'd be working my way up the chain to get reimbursement. Go for it!

Not to alarm you but your Kenmore Ref was most likely made by Whirlpool, Sears only contracts out their appliance units to the best bidder which is normally Whirlpool.

Yup, I had a Kenmore fridge that was a Whirlpool also a washer and dryer. The front loader had main circuit board problems that were fixed by re-soldering some of the relays on it.

Whirlpool is still on my good list, Maytag is on my never again list.

crabboy said:
Yup, I had a Kenmore fridge that was a Whirlpool also a washer and dryer. The front loader had main circuit board problems that were fixed by re-soldering some of the relays on it.

Whirlpool is still on my good list, Maytag is on my never again list.
WHirlpool owns Maytag, bought them last year.
In fact if you look at a brand new Maytag washer it is the Whirlpool washer with Maytag decals.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.