Jandy Aqualink RS6 Indoor Panel not responding

May 16, 2011
Houston, TX
Hi. I'm new here and tried doing a few searches without much luck on this subject.

I have a Jandy RS6 controller in the house that "locked up" the other day. I hit the reset button on the side and all of the lights came on and stayed on. Made a short jumper to connect the panel out to the main power panel outside, hooked it up that way and played with it for 15 minutes and all functions worked correctly so I assumed bad wiring between the main panel and remote panel. I pulled in new wiring this weekend and hooked everything back up. It worked fine for about and hour, then went unresponsive again. If I disconnect the remote panel, give it a some time and reconnect it will sometimes respond to inputs.

As it sits right now I had it up and running long enough to program in a filter and cleaner schedule. It then went unresponsive but is still starting and stopping the filter and cleaner according to the schedule. It will occasionally update the time and temperature on the display or sometimes freeze up on the date or give the model and revision "HH" number of the equipment.

Everything works fine in "Service" mode on the main panel outside. I'm not too familiar with the system, but it seems like some component is heating up or going out on the remote panel. Is there anything else I can check or individual components I can replace before replacing the entire remote panel?

This is the panel in question in case I'm not describing it correctly.

rs8150.gif

Thanks.

I'm about 99% sure the wiring is good. The old stuff I pulled out was fine and I've checked and re-checked the new connections several times. I went home yesterday intending to do an extended test with my short "jumper" connecton just to eliminate all doubt but the controller had somehow healed itself during the day and everything was working fine so I didn't bother with it. It's still running without an issue...knock wood.

So I guess I'm not sure if it's wiring or some component is on its way out or if it just needed a few power cycles on the panel to clear itself up. Also not sure if it's related but the lock up seemed to happen every time I went to the program menu to schedule the run times. I haven't fooled around with any of those functions again so there may be some gremlin in that part of the circuitry. I'll keep an eye on it for now and see how it goes.

Does your system have a spa-side switch? When RS-x systems start acting weird, it's the first thing I check.

Also, the "intelligence" of the system is not in this panel, it is in the motherboard located at the pool-pad... While it could be a panel issue, it is highly unlikely - especially if your replaced the wiring.

Spoke too soon...it's locked up again but is still running the pump and pool/spa mode according to the programmed schedule. Display shows 6521 REV HH and doesn't respond to any key commands.

We do have a spa side remote that has been inoperative since we bought the house a few years ago. It's not powered up and I've never messed with it. I'm not sure if it's completely disconnected or not, I'll have to check tomorrow in the daylight.

I'm trying to think of anything that happened recently and we did have some good thunderstorms and lightning last week. It doesn't appear that anything got wet in the main control panel, but maybe there was a power surge or blip?

I am having the EXACT same problem. The "All button" controller has "6700 REV C" displayed with all of the LED's on and with no control from the all button unit. The pump is running as it should with the proper on/off times. The wiring between the all button controller and PCB board is OK, even hooked the all button direct to the PCB with the same problem. Looking at the PCB, I noticed there are two 'chips', one is the processor and the other I am not sure of. Could these be reseated??? Any help would be appreciate since this has been going on for a couple of weeks. THANKS!!!

I am in Orlando. I have the very same problem. We have checked all the wires to the panel. We even did a jumper at the main panel. When you reset the remote panel it will work for a little while and then all the lights come on and stay on. And the panel does not respond.

Does anybody know where to get a replacement remote panel at a reasonable price? Has anybody tried another panel yet?

Thanks Owillis

I don't know if the following raises more ?'s than it answers, but look up Jandy aqualink part #6908 and see if any of you experiencing this problem with your controllers has it installed...I'll bet you don't. It appears to me that while this part is billed as a "surge suppressor" and doubles the warranty from 1 to 2 years, what it really does is get rid of RFI and/or common mode currents which can wreak havoc on digital circuits with often bizarre and random effects. If this is the case, a cheap fix may be to place ferrite beads on both ends of the cable going from the controller to the power center. A good source of ferrite beads is: http://palomar-engineers.com/rfi-kit .
HAM radio operators have been using them for years to fix everything from their voice coming out of their neighbors' stereos to stopping garage doors opening and closing as well as home alarms going off.
If any of you try these ferrite beads or wrapping the wires around a ferrite core, please post your results and also post if your systems have part #6908 installed.
Thanks,
Bill

I have done more reading and believe my earlier post was not correct. From the RS installation manual:

*******SYMPTOM**********************************PROBLEM************************************POSSIBLE SOLUTION****************************************************
************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

All LEDs are on at the control*****************Control panel is not*******************Check the two center wires (black & yellow)***************************************
panel and the part # and*********************communicating with the power********of the four conductor cable. Also check the installation****************************
revision letter of the control******************center PCB. ***************************of the PPD on the power center PCB.***********************************************
panel software are displayed.********************************************************If the PPD is not seated correctly the system will***********************************
The override switches at the*********************************************************not communicate.*****************************************************************
power center operate as they*******************************************************************************************************************************************
should.*****************************************************************************************************************************************************************

All LEDs are on at the control************1. Damaged or improperly***************1. Check alignment of the PPD.******************************************************
panel and the part # and*****************installed PPD.****************************2. If PPD is installed correctly, replace the*******************************************
revision letter are displayed, but*********2. Damaged power center****************power center PCB.*******************************************************************
override switches at the power***********PCB.
center do not operate at all.

I apologize if my earlier post caused anybody heartburn and would still like to know if your system has the surge protection kit, Part #6908 installed. You can post that information here: jandy-aqualink-rs-p4-s-t44697.html

Thanks,
Bill

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
My Jandy Aqualink RS 6 was working all these years until the pool temperature sensor went out recently. I replaced the sensor and the pool is now accurately shown on the display. But now when the programmed time on the controller is off, the pump continues to run. In fact I couldn't turn the pump off without using the circuit breaker. Does anyone have any idea how to fix it? Thanks.

Hi- I have Aqualink RS6 Pool/Spa Control.

Since last week I am having issue with Spa light turning on automatically. It is very sporadic and spa light turn's on at any time. Also yesterday my filter turn on in the night (even tough it is set during day time).

Can someone please help with why button's are turning on at random time?

Thanks,
Akhil

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.