When to change out filter sand?

thepiratemorgan

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 16, 2010
Central NY
First, thanks for all the help late last summer with my pool problems. With a TF-100 testing kit, some reading (ok, a TON of reading), using the BBB Method, and help from several members here, I was able to overcome an algae problem and learn the "method of madness" to pool chemistry.
Now with that said, our pool was installed May 2007 and this year will be our fifth season. Would like to know the recommendation for changing out the sand in my Hayward Pro filter?? I've read the manual and it doesn't say.
I know my grandfather, God bless his soul, NEVER changed the sand, and ran a pool filter for close to 20 years or more before getting a new pump and filter system. But I don't want to go the way of the "old school" process. (Sorry Gramps!)

Your gramps was a pretty wise man (hats off to him). You don't need to change the sand unless you see that there's a noticeble reduction in filtering that can't be attributed to something else.

However, if you just want to change it. the easiest way is to drain all the water out through the drain and then vacuum the sand out witrh a wet/dry vac. To replace it, you cover the stand pipe and add about a foot of water and gently pour the new sand in there. Put the filter on [edit] backwash for a few minutes then[/edit] rinse for a few minutes once buttoned back up and you're good to go.

I learned tons from my gramps!! And I have to apologize to him for doubting his old school ways. Thanks for your reply. I guess that answers why they don't put in a "sand exchange" schedule or some other form of annotation in the manual.

In my personal opinion sand will generally last the life of the filter, by the time the seals are all shot, the nuts and bolts are rusted, the handle breaks off the multi way valve, etc. I generally decide it is time to change out the filter sand and all, easier than trying to empty the sand if you have the equipment to handle it.

Ike.

My previous house was a rental and it had a pool with a sand filter. I always had a fine sediment on the bottom of the pool that didn't get captured by the sand filter, it would get kicked up when we swam and cloud the water. The sand was approximately 10 years old. I replaced it with zeolite sand and never had the fine sediment anymore, it became crystal clear. It also lowered my filter pressures by about 5psi. If I recall, the zeosand cost about 3X as much as regular sand. I will eventually change my current cartridge filter to a zeolite sand filter as I have to clean my cartridges about once a month. It wasn't that hard to flush out all of the old sand from the drain hole in the bottom of the sand filter with a garden hose, you have to be careful not to break the plastic filter grids if you try to scoop the old sand out.

This thread is getting slightly hijacked but OP's original questions seems to have been answered......many of us have NEVER changed our sand and have no intention to do so.

Secondly. a properly operating sand filter can (ansd usually does) leave your pool crystal clear. Sand is a perfectly acceptable filter medium which sort of explains why it has been around so long. Zeo hasn't been around that long and users on this forum have very mixed reviews....certainly enough negatives to raise eyebrows a bit.

If you have water clarity problems, the solution is frequently found in proper water chemistry or, less likely, some type of mechanical damage to the filter. Less often, the pump and filter are simply not being operated long enough to keep the water clear.

Sometimes too agressively backwashing can result in sand loss so minor additions of new sand may be needed. I have cleaned my sand and sometimes add a bit of DE to polish the water. Ive never replaced the sand.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks to everyone for the clarification and I guess I will leave the sand well enough alone. But I guess I should at least check it's level every so often, or maybe not because I truly don't aggressively backwash. I usually wait until pressure is up 10psi over the norm.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.