How bad is shifted sand under the liner?

Bronco

Jun 3, 2010
SE PA
IMG_0736.jpg

http://www.braglio.com/images/pool/IMG_0736.jpg

I took the pool cover off today and discovered what you see above. I did notice some sand along the outside wall of the pool - but nowhere near as much as what appears to be missing.

Do I need to drain this, rebuild the sand and reinstall the liner? When I close the pool the water level was higher than the return. The ground outside by the pool is not overly wet.

I'd hate to refill this only to have a liner failure but at the same time I'd rather not have to rip it out and reinstall it either.

Thanks for the input.

-edit - I'm not sure why it won't let me insert the image. If you open the hyper link in a new tab you will see the picture of the pool liner.

I fixed the image issue - it was a problem with my host. Everyone should be able to see it now.

I should mention that we had a major infestation of what we think were voles or moles this fall - is it possible that what I'm seeing is their tunnels?

Thanks.

That does look like it might be caused by animal tunnels collapsing.

Some unevenness like that is alright, if unsightly. If it continues to get worse you will eventually have a problem. The liner can stretch up to a point to adapt to changes in ground height, but eventually it will tear.

I've got a similar problem...from crayfish! They tunnel underneath. Anyone know if it is possible to push more sand in without draining?

As a general rule, no it is not possible to push more sand in while the pool has water in it. If the area involved is very small and close to the edge, and you have good access, sometimes you can manage to push more sand in, but most times it won't work out.

Thanks for the re-assurance. I really don't want to rip out the liner and repack the sand this year. I'm going to fill it - take a measurement to check and see if I have a leak and run with it as is until I have a liner issue.

You should see what the voles did to my backyard! I'm sure they are dead now but before they went they destroyed a beautiful turf :(

This place rocks by the way - I switched over to the bleach system last summer and it was the best water quality I've ever had.

I talked to the installers and asked about bumps and humps in the liner from the sand and she said what she tells people is to use an aluminum bat and use the end to tap down any areas that are humped up.....to use straight up and down motion being mindful of the liner and not get too aggressive.......just an idea.....

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.