Kool Deck Refinish Challenge

Aug 3, 2009
I purchased a home with a Kool Deck. Like many 10+ year old surfaces, it looks grungy, dirty and cracked. I am going to paint it, possibly with Systex paint from Mortex. My challenge is that the deck is designed with a crossing line pattern made of ceramic tiles. These are worse than the dirty look of the Kool Deck: my kids are constantly slipping on the ceramic tiles. Since I am going to recoat the Kool Deck, I would like to paint right over the tiles, too. But the Systex paint web site states, "when applied to your Kool Deck surface, the area will become hotter and slicker." Just the opposite effect I'm hoping for.

Two questions. First, does anyone know a deck surface paint that will adhere well to ceramic tiles? Second, does anyone know a good deck paint that has non-skid properties?

Thanks!

I'll agree with Melt In The Sun. Im no pool deck expert but id think its similar to ANYTHING you PAINT. its only going to be as good as its foundation. If its peeling/cracking etc. Then you put something over that. Its just going to adher to whats pulling up and will eventually do the same.

I appreciate the feedback. I went back outside and looked closer. What's peeling away right now is the prior paint job, not the Kool Deck itself. I plan on scraping and blasting away the old paint and grime that is worked down into the decking. Aside from a few odd corners, I'm happy the deck itself is solid.

My pool deck is called "Spray Deck". It is similar to Kool Deck. It is 6 years old and chipping badly,in addition to cracks. I was told to buy Concrete Stain...not paint. Before we begin I would like some advice from anyone who has experience with this please. thanks!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.