CYA - Delay before show up on test.

Puffin

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 23, 2010
Metro Atlanta, Georgia
I'm curious about how long to wait after adding CYA to the pool before testing for it. Also the time to wait seems to differ based on the method it was added. Maybe some of you folks with more experience on this could comment. Below are the methods I know of that can add CYA. If there are other anyone wants to add, please feel free.

Powder/Granular CYA (Sock) - This is the most commonly recommended method on this site. Where we put CYA in a sock and hang it in front of a return or in a skimmer. Do you wait 1 week after its fully dissolved or one week after adding the sock?

Powder/Granular CYA (Skimmer) - I understand that if you can be sure you won't backwash for at least a week this can be a good method as well. It seems you wait 1 week after adding the CYA to test, is that about right?

Liquid CYA - 1 day?

Dichlor - Pre-dissolved in a bucked and added in front of a return (not sure how else you add it or if it would make a difference) How long should it take to show up on the test? 1 week? 1 day?

Trichlor Tablets - How long should it take to show up on the test? 1 week after it fully dissolves? Or is it faster since they dissolve so slowly?

Trichlor granules - Pre-dissolved in a bucked and added in front of a return. How long should it take to show up on the test? 1 week? 1 day?

Powder/Granular CYA (Sock or Skimmer) - wait one week from first adding it.

Liquid CYA - Wait four to six hours with the pump running

Dichlor - One hour with the pump running

Trichlor Tablets or Granules - Half an hour after the tablet/granules are totally dissolved, if adding granules to the skimmer wait four to six hours with the pump running

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.