Just received TF-100 and numbers are freaking me out.

Apr 16, 2007
Gulfport Mississippi

OK I know that what I have been doing is very loose and just want to say ahead of time that I see the error of my ways.

I have been relying on a combination of test strips and pool store test results.

I will do a full battery of tests again this evening and post numbers.

But I was caught up short with my first tests.

I knew that my CYA was high due to using pucks so I did switch to BBB a couple of months ago.

The pool store results for CYA had been coming down from 100+ to around 80, My TF-100 black dot disappeared before the liquid was ½ way to the 100 mark.

My FC readings had been around 12 to 14 (I kept them high due to CYA Lock.)

When I did my drop test it seems to show FC levels of 50.

At that point I was thoroughly freaked out and decided to continue on with the CC test and this was very low.

Don’t remember what it was exactly because I was like I said freaked out and frankly doubting my ability to perform the tests.

The Tests seem simple enough so I don’t know what’s going on here.

My water is very clear and I thought it was in good but not perfect shape.

I thought I would get the test kit and learn to fine tune for great water but this initial test is disturbing.

Is it possible for the strips and pool store to be this off or is it me?

I did see another thread with a similar concern so could the batch of chemicals be off?

A 50ppm chlorine reading would mean you added 100 drops to the solution before it cleared??? Or at the 0.2 line on the vial that you added 250 drops.

Take a couple of deep breaths and relax. Those results are a little extreme but not dangerous. At high CYA levels it is fairly safe to have high chlorine levels.

I would try doing the CYA test again using dilution. Mix one part of pool water with one part of tap water and then do the CYA test using that and multiply the result by two. The test will be less percise but you will get a better idea of what you level is, instead of just 100+.

It is not uncommon for both test strips and pool stores to be way off. There are some good pool stores out there, but there are also some really bad ones. Test strips have high variability, doing the test several times can give very different results. And even when two strips in a row agree that doesn't tell you much about your actual levels.

Bpotter said:

OK I know that what I have been doing is very loose and just want to say ahead of time that I see the error of my ways.

I have been relying on a combination of test strips and pool store test results.

I will do a full battery of tests again this evening and post numbers.

But I was caught up short with my first tests.

I knew that my CYA was high due to using pucks so I did switch to BBB a couple of months ago.

The pool store results for CYA had been coming down from 100+ to around 80, My TF-100 black dot disappeared before the liquid was ½ way to the 100 mark.

My FC readings had been around 12 to 14 (I kept them high due to CYA Lock.)

When I did my drop test it seems to show FC levels of 50.

At that point I was thoroughly freaked out and decided to continue on with the CC test and this was very low.

Don’t remember what it was exactly because I was like I said freaked out and frankly doubting my ability to perform the tests.

The Tests seem simple enough so I don’t know what’s going on here.

My water is very clear and I thought it was in good but not perfect shape.

I thought I would get the test kit and learn to fine tune for great water but this initial test is disturbing.

Is it possible for the strips and pool store to be this off or is it me?

I did see another thread with a similar concern so could the batch of chemicals be off?

Lots of us have freaked out over #'s testing....mostly from the pool store! It can be really easy to panic and start throwing 'stuff' in the pool, but, as Jason said, just relax. It can take a little getting used to actually doing your own tests, too. You are on the right road by getting your own test kit. Soon the pool will be perfect, so hang in there and trust your test numbers over the pool store. :)

Joyce

Hey there, bpotter,

As the folks above said, the results are pretty doggone high but possibly realistic.

Review your test instructions. It's easy to overlook something in the math or dosage the first time you use the kit.

Your chemistry is within a batch that I received on or about Sept. 7th so I'm pretty sure that chemistry is fine. I've received no notices of problems with that batch to this point.

JohnT,
Yes it was 100 drops I don’t know what you mean by 0.2 line?? I guess when I get home to look at my test kit I will see.

duraleigh,
Thank you for checking on the batch (and please don’t think that I was bad mouthing your product)
I was very happy with the instructions and layout of the test kit and as soon as it stops freaking me out Im sure i'll love it :-D

I appreciate everyone’s input.
I am seriously thinking about a pool drain down now.
How long in the world would it take to bring this kind of CYA into levels that wouldn’t require so much CL?

Thank you for checking on the batch (and please don’t think that I was bad mouthing your product)
No, I certainly didn't take it that way, either. I appreciate all comments about the kit. It is a work in progress and it will evolve into a better product thru the user input that I get privately or here on the forum. If I get the comment on the forum, I can respond publicly (so far, at least :lol: ) and hopefully pass along pertinent info to others.

Now, to your question.....assuming your CYA is between 150-200, a 50% drain and refill will cut it in half. You can do the math on any other percentage. I would certainly consider reducing it down to 80 or below.....just about everything with your pool water will get easier then.

I suspect you have chlorinated with tabs pretty heavily for a few years to get it that high....is that the case? In the presence of high chlorine levels, your pH test will probably be pretty innacurate but I'm curious as to what it is......I also suspect it may be low.

OK I did a full test again yesterday evening. I haven’t added any chlorine for about week. That’s when I did the last test.
Here is what I came up with.
It seems like I have a lot f work to do.

Free Chlorine: 17.5
Combined chlorine: pH: 8.2
Total Alkalinity: 250
Cyanuric acid : 110

the pool is 10,000 gallon, in ground, plaster, kidney shape with a sand filter.

Currently attempting to use BBB so no mineral sanitizers.

The water looks very clear and 80 degrees

The FC level is high enough that you can't trust the PH number. When FC is 10 or below the PH reading should be reliable. When FC is between 10 and 15 PH tends to read a little high. With FC above 15 PH tends to read a great deal high.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.