trichlor and cya

Diver

May 5, 2011
South of Boston
is there a good post/article here to show someone who never heard of CYA and why it's important to monitor? there is enough information on this forum to piece it all together, but i want a post or a link to an article that will describe the problems with using stabilized cholorine in details and all in one spot.

thank you.

Yes!

Go to Pool School (top right button on webpage).

Under Pool Chemistry, see 3rd item down: How to Chlorinate your pool. Once there, read everything, but Item #2 is exactly what you are looking for.

Good luck~~

Lana

Lana,

I looked there and while it all what it is when it comes stabilized chlorine and CYA in one short paragraph, I'm looking for something different. Something that i can to show my father in law. he's had his pool for years and never heard of CYA. i want something more substantial then 1 paragraph to make him start thinking about it.

P.S. Lana happened to be the name of my 7 month old daughter :)

Diver,

Your father in law might know CYA as stabilizer. Maybe.

Several decades ago I knew a family with an in-ground pool. I swam in that pool every summer for 15 years. Every year they opened that pool with dozens of jugs of Clorox and vigorous cleaning. They used floaters with tabs, and if ever things (rarely) got out of hand, the pool was given the multiple jugs of Clorox treatment. Everyone vacuumed; the pool looked clean always.

I don't recall ever seeing any sort of test kit. Luckily, no one got sick; nothing bad happened. They never bought anything from the pool store except for those floater tabs.

Maybe your father is a bit like these old friends of my parents. Some people want to know more; others couldn't care less.

Pool School states a simple fact quite simply. I don't know where better to refer you to. You enjoy your Trouble Free Pool! :-D

Lana

If he's never heard of cya.......he has certainly seen it listed on a report if he's ever had water tested at a pool store. If he's been using pucks..............the reason it doesn't ring a bell with him is because they've never had to sell him any because of using the pucks. Bet they've sold him a lot of other stuff to compensate for the problems it can cause though............just didn't explain to him WHY. If he's been told to shock his pool every couple of weeks or so, the CYA level is most likely why they told him that.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.