Sticking and Humming Pentair Whisperflow pump

Feb 21, 2010
I have a 2.5 HP Pentair pump that will not start on its own. It hums and if I turn the shaft with a wrench eventually it will slowly turn and start, runs fine from that point on. I have cleaned the impellor, very little debris. I need to repeat process everyday to get the pump going. After reading many threads on this issue, I suspect, bad capacitor, however, should the shaft require a wrench to turn? I cannot turn the shaft with my hand. Is it possible motor bearings are shot? If motor capacitor is problem, where can I find the part? Pentair only sells as an assembly. Thanks for any thoughts/guidance!!

The bearings are failing. Otherwise you would be able to easily turn the shaft by hand. You need to replace the bearings, or have someone else do it for you. As maxepr1, a motor shop will do this quickly and affordably.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.