Culator - Does it work?

Oct 14, 2009
I am trying to keep from getting iron staining, again. I used stain free followed by a sequestrant and 24 hours later backwashed. Most of the staining is gone. I ordered Culator and added the bag to my skimmer. Has anyone used Culator and did it work?

Thanks!!

I decided to try Culator this year. I did the ascorbic acid treatment when I opened the pool to get rid of the metal stains and added a quart of Metal Magic. After the treatment most of the metalstains were gone and I put the Culator pouch in the skimmer. I left town for 4 days about 3 weeks after I put the Culator in the skimmer and forgot to turn down the chlorine generation level on my SWG and left the solar blanket on the pool. When I got home my chlorine was up to about 25ppm and there was a lot of new metal staining in the pool.

Either the Culator didn't work or I have so much metal in my water that it couldn't remove it all. I bought a 3 month supply of Culator so I will continue to use it just in case it is actually doing some good.

Did the CuLator bag change color at all? That's the indication of whether it has removed metal. See this link for some color examples.

I suggest you contact them and tell them what happened and what they suggest. Do you know the amount of metal you had after the ascorbic acid treatment or even after the metal sequestrant? Having a before/after of measured metal values would also be an indication of whether it is working and by how much how fast.

Keep us posted. I was hoping this was something that would work, but if it doesn't then we obviously can't recommend it.

I did an AA treatment about 5 weeks ago. I put a Culator in the skimmer and the stains have not returned. I had to shock the pool because of cloudiness and was terrified that the stains would return. They did not. I have ordered another Culator and after it arrives, I will cut open the old one to see if it changed colors. I hope this will really be the solution to my metal staining!

I put in a new Culator and cut open the old one to check the color. It was yellowish-brown. I think that means it captured some iron. I still do not have any staining. I am going to try and see if I can get it to last longer than 1 month.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.