an idea to improve paper cartridge filtration

jaydar

Mar 30, 2011
Ok...this mightsound whacky but.I noticed debris coming from my pool returns..which means that the leaf trap and the paper cartridge didn't stop it.

It would settle on the pool floor not far from the returns.Other finer sediment does continue to collect in streaks in the same places over and over again.This sediment is blackish...but the stains underneath are light yellow brown.

They were a lot worse...darker before I got water in balance.

Anyway...I bought pantyhose and cut the feet part off and slipped those into cotton socks and found a way to attach to my pool returns.A lot of stuff was collected.I also lined my skimmer basket with a microfiber cloth...and that also helped quite a bit.

Yesterday I rigged a pantyhose foot over the pump leaf trap basket and this morning...almost no sediment anywhere.

I'm pretty sure I've got dissolved metal in the water...and there seems to be a magnetic attraction that keeps pulling and depositing the blackish sediment in the same spots.Could the rebar and wire mesh inside the gunite have become magnetized somehow?

So my idea is to clean my filter...it still looks in great shape...only 9 months old...then dust the pleats with DE and put one leg inside the other leg of pantyhose and slide that over the entire cartridge and see how well it filters out the minute particulates.

I am about ready to dose with AA and sequester with Jacks purple....I'm also wondering if I can apply some strong magnets( I have some pretty strong rare earth magnets handy) somewhere in the system to latch onto the dissolved iron....don't know what to do if it's dissolved copper.

Any ideas or thoughts if this will work or not...or a better way?

I don't want to have to keep the metals in solution all the time by adding more and more sequestrant.I'd rather find a way to precipitate it and filter it out completely.

The problem with my setup...I cannot backwash or vacuum to waste with my setup...I don't know if that's true of all paper cartridge sytsems.

Thoughts anyone?

If anything that can be caught by a stocking is getting through your cartridge filter, then something is wrong with your filter. There might be a tear somewhere in the filter fabric or the cartridge might not be sealing to the filter correctly.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.