No suction from both skimmers!

Hi, My pool was just opened and the crew left the skimmer valves off because the h20 level was not high enough...came home filled to mid level of skimmers and turned
on valves to pump. But I have noticed that there is not much movement of the debris in the pool twrds the skimmers. I removed baskets to feel any suction (usually I am afraid I will lose a hand)
but there is minimal suction. What should I do?
Dixtricity :?:

Re: NO SUCTION FROM BOTH SKIMMERS!

Check the pump strainer basket for debris and see how much water pressure your return line is putting out. Does it seem normal? If you have a bottom drain, is it all the way open?

have cleaned out the strainer basket, the water pressure seems fine, the main drain valve is all the way open. I did try to vacum the pool by attaching hose and turning off the main drain and shallow
skimmer valves, when I did this the pump strainer water level dropped

Welcome to TFP!!

Sounds like you trapped a lot of air in the skimmer lines by leaving the valve closed. Turn off the pump, open the lid to let the water in the skimmer lines equalize to the pool level(you might want to close the drain valve first, to preserve your prime). Then close the skimmer line, put the lid back on, open the drain line and start the pump, Once the pump is fully primed by the drain, s-l-o-w-l-y open the skimmer line.

I hope this does the trick for you :)

I may have been a bit hasty in my describing the method :oops:

When priming a pump, it's best to do it one line at a time. Your MD line is already primed so when you go to open another line, do it slowly and one skimmer at a time. Crack the valve to let a little air be visible in the pump strainer and wait until there is no more air in the strainer before doing the same to the other skimmer.

If this doesn't work - make sure the plugs were removed from the skimmers :hammer: .

If it still isn't working, there may be an obstruction in the line that joins the 2 skimmers.

Please keep us posted :)

If it's affecting both skimmers, check the common fittings for an air leak (there's an article on leaks here).

However, to have little to no suction from both skimmers, it'd be a larger, and therefor easier to find, leak.

Keep the updates coming and we'll help you figure out what's going on :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ted you got it! There was a leak at the pipe fitting where it attaches to the pump. But I did have to pay for a service call , I didn't want to crack the pipe trying to loosen it,bummer but oh well...
Thanks to all of you for your replys and suggestions,.
So glad I found this site.:)
Sally

BelLa's Pond said:
Sally,
So glad you solved your problem!
Maybe you can help with mine, because I have a very similar problem.
How did you go about discovering the leak at the pipe fitting?
Thank you!

Try the link I gave above :) Dribble water over any suspect connection for ~1 min. and check the pump lid to see if the bubbles lessen.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.