Well crud!!!! Lightning just took out pump I got last year!!

cherylandco

LifeTime Supporter
May 7, 2009
That was a direct hit. Oh man!! But, I didn't really like that pump much anyway! It was a Waterflo 2hp 2speed. And for the record, it was not even running - it was turned off because I had a leaking connection that I attempted to fix myself and I wanted my Dad to look at it before I turned it back on.

Soooooooooooooooooooo - can I get recommendations again? I want something quiet, 2 speed, but most of all, energy efficient!!!!!!! That's my main requirement this time. I think I'm going to go down to a 1.5hp. I hope it's enough to really keep the water circulating (my pool is 21x41 so it's got a lot of water to move!!!) - but if one of you experts think differently, PLEASE let me know!!

If anyone wants to take the time to help me step by step through all those calculations and things I need to consider, I'd appreciate it - although I know you all get sick of repeating these things to us over and over!!!!!

Also - on another post talking about 2speed and variable (I'm not sure what the difference is, but I'm going to find out!) mas985 (I think it was) said that what you paid per kwh makes a difference. I pay $.1380 per kwh here - just pulled out my electric bill. :)

If it helps in your recommendations any, my SwimPro filter has a label that says:
Effective Filtration Area: 3.22ft2 (feet squared?)
Filtration Rate: 25GPM/ft2
Filter and Backwash Design flow rate 80 GPM

Thanks!!

Re: Well crud!!!! Lightning just took out pump I got last ye

Variable speed pumps can run at any of hundreds of speeds over a wide range, while a two speed pump only runs at one of two speeds. Variable speed pumps cost more and are normally only worth getting when your electric rates are much higher than yours are.

I would look for a 1 HP full rated, or 1.5 HP max rated, two speed pump. Two speed pumps can be run on low speed most of the time to save electricity, and still have high speed available for vacuuming.

The IntelliFlo VF is not a good choice for an above ground pool, nor would the extra cost ever be made back given an electric rate around $0.13.

Whats all the calculations about uprating, etc?? Jason, you said 1HP full rated or 1.5HP max rated. I've looked at pump ads/descriptions, and I"m not seeing anything about rating (well, maybe UL rating?)

Another question - why do they sell pumps without cords? The pentair dynamo pumps only show 1 2speed (1.5hp) with a cord - the rest do not have cords. Weird?!?

cherylandco said:
Another question - why do they sell pumps without cords? The pentair dynamo pumps only show 1 2speed (1.5hp) with a cord - the rest do not have cords. Weird?!?
They are made to be direct wired with flexible conduit, usually. The installer can add a cord with a plug if thats the way it needs to be done.

Ok, Jason - I think this is my last question - looking at the performance curves for the Pentair Dynamo - the 1HP and the 1.5HP have the exact same curve. Does this mean that I get the same performance from the 1HP pump at a lower energy cost (b/c of the 1HP vs 1.5HP???) - am I starting to understand?

http://www.pentairpool.com/pdfs/dynamoDS.pdf

What does the head mean? Does it mean how far the water has to go? Our pump sits right under the strainer, so it only goes what, 3 feet at the very max - so the head would be 3?

There is something strange going on there. If you look at the Specs tab on this page you can see that the 1 1/2 HP with cord draws 12 amps, just like the 1 HP, but the 1 1/2 HP with base, cord, and on/off switch draws 16 amps, just like the 2 HP with cord only.

Pentair has had errors in their specs before, they also sometimes sell the same pump labeled with two different HP ratings (which most of the other pump manufacturers also do).

Hmmmph.

Well, and looking at that list.... I want the 2 speed, but need the cord (Twist Lock), but I need an on/off switch- how else would you turn it on/off? And does it mean it doesn't have a base? I just need it to be able to bolt to the "pad" that the filter is on. Do I need a base?

Holy cow this is confusing!!! ;)

I may be wrong but I believe that the 2-speed non-corded models come with the low-off-high switch just not the cord. To be sure call Pentair or your local dealer and ask specifically if it does.

Here's the pump I'd suggest for you. 340204 DYNII-N2 1 HP 115V Only 11.0/2.9. You should be able to reuse the cord from your old pump on this pump. So I wouldn't worry about buying one with a cord.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Bama Rambler said:
I may be wrong but I believe that the 2-speed non-corded models come with the low-off-high switch just not the cord. To be sure call Pentair or your local dealer and ask specifically if it does.

Here's the pump I'd suggest for you. 340204 DYNII-N2 1 HP 115V Only 11.0/2.9. You should be able to reuse the cord from your old pump on this pump. So I wouldn't worry about buying one with a cord.

Are you suggesting the Dynamos over other pumps, or that particular Dynamo from the page I posted? Just curious!!

Also, I'm prepared - totally - to go down in hp. I'm a bit nervous about going all the way down to a 1HP (unless it's uprated with a SF of 1.5 (see? I think I understand!!! :thequeen: ) to be, essentially, a 1.5HP pump. The reason is that our pool is big. Real big. And we already have trouble with the water circulation on the north side of the pool. So I'm VERY concerned that I will end up with a pump that will make it even HARDER to keep that opposite side clean!

Please reassure me. I totally get the whole "turnover" thing - but if the water isn't even getting pulled from the north end, all the junk is laying over there because of the wind blowing it from the south to the north, and it's just NOT a good situation.

I guess I may have to just take a leap of faith on this one?!?!?!

That was just a suggestion from the page you posted. I personally prefer the Whisperflo's, but I have a Dynamo and it works great. Funny huh?

Have you posted a pic of your pool before?

A 1 HP pump will be just fine. At worst, it may require you to use more care in aiming the return to get the circulation to work well. You definitely want the return aimed as far to the side as possible and slightly down. When you have it in the correct position you should see the water going around in a circle.

JasonLion said:
A 1 HP pump will be just fine. At worst, it may require you to use more care in aiming the return to get the circulation to work well. You definitely want the return aimed as far to the side as possible and slightly down. When you have it in the correct position you should see the water going around in a circle.

The problem is, down and to the side will hit the steps because that is right where our steps are. That, I'm assuming, will stop (or interrupt) the flow? Should we move the steps elsewhere?

The steps may or may not cause a problem. If they are in the way, try aiming it the other direction. When you have it right the water will be visibly moving in a circle. As long as the water moves the way you want it doesn't matter where the steps are, so try aiming at the steps and see what happens.

Bama Rambler said:
Have you posted a pic of your pool before?

Here are pictures of my pool - some are from before we replaced the liner 2 years ago (prepared to be disgusted!!!), during the installation of the liner, and then afterwards.

It's a 21x41 pool - I believe the largest aboveground you can get (although I may be wrong on that!) - my brother put it in when he lived there (it's our family "homeplace").

https://picasaweb.google.com/1056081575 ... directlink

There is a picture that shows the placement of the skimmer and return in relation to the steps. That is the south end of the pool. If we had known better at the time, when we replaced the liner, we would have looked into them moving that utility panel to the NORTH end so that it works with the wind instead of against it. Or at least put in a 2nd return (something that has not been ruled out! :cry: But, we didn't know - we moved there at the end of the season the year before and over the winter the liner just shredded.

You need to aim the eyeball at the steps. You also need as large an eyeball as you can find. If the steps cause a problem would it be possible to move them to the other end?

I would go as far as threading a PVC Street EL into the return fitting and threading the eyeball fitting into that so it flows right against the wall.

The 1hp pump will be fine for you even if you add another return. Which at this point I don't think you need.

I can move the steps wherever - that is not a problem. :)

Thank you to you 2 for all your help with my dumb questions - and I'm sure they are going to keep coming! lol

If I replace the eyeball with a bigger one (I'm sure the one there is just the one that "came" with the pool), do I have to drain water, or can I do it "in" the water?

I'll have to work on figuring out the EL thing above!! :hammer: :mrgreen:

You don't have to drain any water. The return fitting is what seals to the pool wall and you're not going to remove that just the eyeball fitting.

I don't know if you realized it but that colored text is a link to the fitting I'm talking about. Lowes or HD probably has them too.

Bama Rambler said:
That was just a suggestion from the page you posted. I personally prefer the Whisperflo's, but I have a Dynamo and it works great. Funny huh?

But Whisperflos are just for aboveground, correct? It's not an option for me, since I'm A/G I think.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.