Understanding of my pool plumbing for solar pool heater

Feb 3, 2011
Roseville, CA
I am thinking about putting up solar pool heater on my roof at the end of september and I need help understanding my plumbing.

Here is a picture of exposed pipes.

As shown in the picture above, I have the followings with letters shown on my picture:

(A) to main pump to filter to (B)
(C) to auxilary pump to (D)
(E) to (F) and/or (G)

I have the followings in my pool:
4 holes and a water fall. - I am sure that these are connected to (F) and (G). There is a 3 way valve between (E), (F) and (G). When I completely shut off water coming out of the 4 holes, then water fall flows at the max flow rate. I can reverse the flow to stop the water fall and all water will be diverted to 4 holes.
There is also 'auxilary pump' hole with polaris pressure side cleanner connected to it.
A skimmer with two holes - one has very strong suction and other have no suction.
Main draingage at the bottom of the pool - I assume there is one. I see something that looks like a drainage but I never checked to see how many holes are there.

Things I am 100% sure.
(F) and (G) leads to the 4 holes and water fall.
(D) leads to the pressure side cleaner hole.

Things I am 99% sure.
(B) is directly connected to (E).

Things I am not sure.
Whether (D) to the pressure side cleaner hole is somehow connected by (F) and (G) to the 4 holes and water fall. It looks like main and aux pump has its own return lines but what about the feed lines? I am guessing that main and auxilary pump suck the water from skimmer and main drainage. Are these feed line typcially separted or combined?

Let me know if you need additional info to figure this out.

B must be connected to C, as well as E. The booster pump needs to get water from after the main pump, and there is nowhere else it could be getting water that makes any sense.

D has to go straight to the hole in the pool wall where you connect the pool cleaner, or the pool cleaner wouldn't work.

If I'm reading correctly I believe your main drain is plumbed through the skimmer. You would use a diverter in the skimmer to control the suction on the main drain. Those are connected at the skimmer and coming into A. Then the flow continues through the pump and filter out B. Next B is split to E and C. The 3 way valve then controls the flow to F and G, one being the 4 returns in the pool and the other being the water fall. C flows through the booster pump and back to your cleaner port in D.

Hope that's not to confusing.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.