Should the test kit be replaced each year?

Officially, Taylor says that the reagents should be replaced every year. In practice they will last several years as long as you store them properly. The main thing is to keep the reagents cool but never frozen, with relatively stable temperatures, and don't leave them out in the sunlight for very long.

Does this apply to all of the chemicals in the Test Kit?

My test kit was also stored in a kitchen cabinet. Today, I was going to do the first chlorine test for the season, but I opened the R-0870 DPD Powder and it was dirty looking (almost grey, surely not white). I used one scoop of powder for the test, but the water didn't turn pink. I finally had to use 3 scoops for it to turn pink. By then I didn't trust the results, so I ordered some new R-0870.

This link gives some indications of when a reagent is compromised. I would say a reasonable rule is the following for reagents that have been opened and are stored in room temperature conditions away from sunlight. Others can make comments since some of this is subjective. Taylor generally recommends replacement after 1 year.

1-year (maybe 2, but check condition; sensitive to moisture and heat)
R-0870 DPD powder (N,N-Diethyl-p-phenylene-diamine sulfate, EDTA, phosphate buffer)

probably 2 years but most of these are sensitive to heat; FAS-DPD is sensitive to light as well
R-0871 FAS-DPD titrating reagent (ferrous ammonium sulfate)
R-0004 pH indicator (K-2006; phenol red organic dye and chlorine neutralizers)
R-0014 pH indicator (K-1000; TF-100; phenol red organic dye and chlorine neutralizers)
R-0600 OTO indicator (K-1000; TF-100; organic dye)
R-0008 TA indicator (organic dye)
R-0011L calcium indicator (organic dye)
R-0007 thiosulfate chlorine neutralizer (sodium thiosulfate)
R-0012 hardness reagent (EDTA) -- published shelf-life 18-48 months
R-0003 DPD reagent #3 (CC test; potassium iodide) -- sunlight plus oxygen oxidizes it

3 years or more
R-0005 acid demand (sulfuric acid)
R-0006 base demand (sodium carbonate)
R-0009 sulfuric acid titrating reagent (sulfuric acid)
R-0010 calcium buffer (sodium hydroxide high pH buffer)
R-0013 CYA reagent (melamine in a low pH buffer)

Am I correct in reading that heat, even out of direct sunlight, is a problem? I was planning to store my test kit along with my chemicals in a deck box on my patio in a shaded area, so they would be protected from sun in the box and also be in a shaded area so it won't get extremely hot, but here in SE Florida, it gets pretty hot and humid in the summer. Is it safe to store them in the deck box or should I keep them in the house? Thanks!

You are correct in that heat and light can shorten the reagents life. Store the kit inside in a dark dry cabinet or closet.

Take your water sample, bring it inside, sit at your kitchen table and do your tests.

Well, that's what many of us do, anyway.

btw, (deckbox reminded me) as a reminder to all, do not store muriatic acid and chlorine products together.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.