Pristine Blue

May 13, 2011
Daphne AL
WOW, I guess I am in the same boat. Just got my first pool last week and bought the Pristine blue not knowing about pools. I am on my second spa in 15 yrs so I know a thing or two about chemicals (but not much). The spa is easy because i drained it once a quarter but the pool is all together different because my city charges a boat load of money to use water.

I used Pristine Blue and now wish i would have gone to basic chlorine or the BBB. My skimmer basket has copper/brown looking smudge that wipes right off, i am sure this is the product doing its job and sending the bad to the filter.

So bottom line is i am regretting this PB after reading these boards and want to get rid of it. I searched the boards and found this post. Any advise would be appreciated, i am very busy and travel 3 days a week, i need lower maintenance.

Please forgive me if i posted wrong, or such. Serious newbie here.

As long as you haven't used too much Pristine Blue it should be alright. It takes a little while for the copper level to build up. You should be able to stop using Pristine Blue and start with normal chlorine. If you have any doubts you can get a copper test result to confirm it.

My wife was concerned about Chlorine and the effects like burning eyes, itch, etc. Any recommendations on how to keep these effects minimized. So basically i should just add chlorine and begin the normal chlorine process and just let the PB levels disappear. BTW, the PB level is low right now.

Thanks for the response.

All of the things people normally complain about chlorine are all effects of doing chlorine very poorly. If you do chlorine correctly, which isn't actually difficult, you won't have any problems. My pool is chlorine, and everyone compliments me on my chlorine free pool, because they don't notice any of the negatives they associate with chlorine.

First you need a good test kit so you will know how much chlorine to add. I'm no longer a fan of the tablets. Had to dump almost half my pool to get my CYA down. Now I add about a quart of chlorine a day and my water looks better than ever. Knowing what's in your pool before you add is cruical to being sucessful. I have the TF 100 test kit.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.