My 3/4 hp cleaner pump motor just died. Suggestions?

lovingHDTV

LifeTime Supporter
May 25, 2007
Round Rock, TX
Per the subject, my 3/4 hp cleaner pump motor just died this weekend so I will need to replace it. Here are the specs of the current motor:

A.O. Smith
Date: 7/2004
Model: C48K2N143B4
HP: 3/4 hp
SF: 1.5
Volts: 115/230

I guess I could just buy this exact same motor, but it was quite loud, or maybe it is the pump.

Suggestions of where to buy one would be great also.

thanks,
dave

Dave,

I'd take it to a motor shop first. There are replaceable parts. Starting capacitor is a common failure and a cheap fix.

I just got the time to take a peek.

The cap is fine, but the black wire it toasted and what it is connected to in the motor is a black also.

What do I want to look for in a motor? I want it quiet and as efficient as possible.

Not sure how the SF factors into that, I see uprated an full rated also, what does that all mean?

thanks,

Up rated, full rated, max rated, etc are all different ways of hinting at what the SF (service factor) is. Basically the actual power available from the motor is the listed HP times the SF. The same pump can get sold as different HP ratings by giving it different SF. It is a crazy system that grew out of marketing speak.

It sounds like you have a standard booster pump, which normally has 3/4" flexible pipe connections instead of 1.5" or 2" PVC connections. Those are all fairly similar and the whole SF issue doesn't usually come up with booster pumps.

You really have four choices: figure out what is wrong on your own, have the unit serviced, replace just the motor, or replace the entire motor and pump. As you move along that list the price goes up but the complexity goes down.

I've found that I can replace my motor with either a capacitor start/inductor run or a capacitor start/capacitor run motor.

The CSCR costs a little more, but I'm told that it is a "better" motor and should run more efficiently. Anyone know how to find out if this makes sense?

thanks,
David

Just in case anyone else is interested here is the motor I bought:

1[CT1072] A. O. Smith Single Speed J-Frame Threaded Shaft Motors - Energy Efficient (¾ HP) @ $134.40

The AO Smith websight has a cross reference chart that pointed me to this motor. It is the Energy Efficient motor and it rated at 5.5 Amps @ 230V where the non-efficient motor is rated at 7.5 Amps @ 230V.

Thanks for all the help.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yes I did get a new shaft pump seal.

As best I can tell the Energy Efficient motors from AO Smith are CSCR. I believe that the starter cap is located on the end of the motor where the centripetal switch would be located, and the run cap is located as a wart on the side of the motor. This is my best guess from what I found anyway.

Here is a link to the motor:

http://www.a1poolparts.com/-strse-1253/ ... Detail.bok

lovingHDTV,

I think that we are all "conservationists" when it comes down to it. :shock:

This is too late for your situation, but I will probably completely get rid of my 3/4 HP booster pump and the Poalris 360 that it powers next year. I have found a pressure side cleaner called Pressure PoolCleaner which can run off of my normal filter pump and doesn't need a booster pump.

http://www.thepoolcleaner.com/pressurepoolcleaner.html

Titanium

A quick update in case anyone else wants/needs to replace their booster pump motor.

I ended up buying my motor online because I could not find any local pool store that sold the CSCR motors and as they use ~25% less power and run much quieter I wanted one.

The motor I bought works great for my Hayward 5060 booster pump. I've never done this before but was able to figure it out. I did have to have the PS remove the impeller as I could not do it and did not want to break it trying to force its removal. As I bought my shaft seal from them they did not charge me for it and were helpful showing me how to install the shaft seal. Those seals are pretty cool.

It is all up and running without a hitch and is much quieter. I can't hear the pumps at the pool anymore! I can however still hear my neighbors pumps :)

dave

Titanium said:
lovingHDTV,

I think that we are all "conservationists" when it comes down to it. :shock:

This is too late for your situation, but I will probably completely get rid of my 3/4 HP booster pump and the Poalris 360 that it powers next year. I have found a pressure side cleaner called Pressure PoolCleaner which can run off of my normal filter pump and doesn't need a booster pump.

http://www.thepoolcleaner.com/pressurepoolcleaner.html

Titanium
The 360 is the ONLY model in the Polaris line that does NOT need a booster pump but just runs off the returns of the pool! Are you sure you don't have a 380?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.