Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: My 3/4 hp cleaner pump motor just died. Suggestions?

1. Back To Top    #1

My 3/4 hp cleaner pump motor just died. Suggestions?

Per the subject, my 3/4 hp cleaner pump motor just died this weekend so I will need to replace it. Here are the specs of the current motor:

A.O. Smith
    Date: 7/2004
    Model: C48K2N143B4
    HP: 3/4 hp
    SF: 1.5
    Volts: 115/230

I guess I could just buy this exact same motor, but it was quite loud, or maybe it is the pump.

Suggestions of where to buy one would be great also.

thanks,
    dave
    15,500 gal, inground gunite pool with 7 ft spa, 2 speed pump 2hp/.33hp, 3/4 hp booster pump, Intermatic P1353 timer, AutoPilot SC-48, Sand filter with ZeoBest, Heater, that I never use . . .

2. Back To Top    #2
    Dave,

I'd take it to a motor shop first. There are replaceable parts. Starting capacitor is a common failure and a cheap fix.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3
    I replaced my 2hp motor a month or so ago. Took the old one to Leslie's and got the correct replacement. New one is much quieter and more efficient to run.
    WetEdge Satin Matrix, 16K gallon, Pentair NSP-60 DE filter, Pac Fab Challenger, 2HP pump, BBB, Polaris 360

4. Back To Top    #4

yes, the starter cap. I'll take the end off and see if I have some confetti in there
    15,500 gal, inground gunite pool with 7 ft spa, 2 speed pump 2hp/.33hp, 3/4 hp booster pump, Intermatic P1353 timer, AutoPilot SC-48, Sand filter with ZeoBest, Heater, that I never use . . .

5. Back To Top    #5

I just got the time to take a peek.

The cap is fine, but the black wire it toasted and what it is connected to in the motor is a black also.

What do I want to look for in a motor? I want it quiet and as efficient as possible.

Not sure how the SF factors into that, I see uprated an full rated also, what does that all mean?

thanks,

6. Back To Top    #6
    Up rated, full rated, max rated, etc are all different ways of hinting at what the SF (service factor) is. Basically the actual power available from the motor is the listed HP times the SF. The same pump can get sold as different HP ratings by giving it different SF. It is a crazy system that grew out of marketing speak.

It sounds like you have a standard booster pump, which normally has 3/4" flexible pipe connections instead of 1.5" or 2" PVC connections. Those are all fairly similar and the whole SF issue doesn't usually come up with booster pumps.

You really have four choices: figure out what is wrong on your own, have the unit serviced, replace just the motor, or replace the entire motor and pump. As you move along that list the price goes up but the complexity goes down.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7

I've found that I can replace my motor with either a capacitor start/inductor run or a capacitor start/capacitor run motor.

The CSCR costs a little more, but I'm told that it is a "better" motor and should run more efficiently. Anyone know how to find out if this makes sense?

thanks,
    David

8. Back To Top    #8
    This document seems to cover the difference fairly well.

http://www.pumped101.com/singlephasemotors.pdf
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump and Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, 1/2 HP 2sp pump, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

9. Back To Top    #9

Just in case anyone else is interested here is the motor I bought:

1[CT1072] A. O. Smith Single Speed J-Frame Threaded Shaft Motors - Energy Efficient (¾ HP) @ $134.40

The AO Smith websight has a cross reference chart that pointed me to this motor. It is the Energy Efficient motor and it rated at 5.5 Amps @ 230V where the non-efficient motor is rated at 7.5 Amps @ 230V.

Thanks for all the help.

10. Back To Top    #10

lovingHDTV,

Congratulations on your new motor. Is your new motor the CSCR type?

Are you going to need some new pump seals or shaft seals to mate your new motor to the old pump?

Titanium
    24,000 gallon inground freeform pool/spa circa 1983 (113 ft perimeter, 625 sq ft) with 350 gallon attached spill-over spa
    2007 2 HP, three-phase Hayward TriStar pump which is powered by an Ikeric VS-200 variable speed drive system
    1983 Laars XE Pool/Spa Heater Type ES 400,000 BTU, 1998 Hayward Super Star-Clear C-4000 cartridge filter (400 sq ft, 4 separate cartridges)
    1998 Polaris 380 pressure-side cleaner w/ 3/4 HP booster pump
    One skimmer :( and one PoolSkim :), One Supervision Galaxy LED pool lamp, Second story solar panels
    Hayward/GoldLine AquaLogic PS4 (replaced 1983 vintage dual circuit Intermatic timer)

11. Back To Top    #11

Yes I did get a new shaft pump seal.

As best I can tell the Energy Efficient motors from AO Smith are CSCR. I believe that the starter cap is located on the end of the motor where the centripetal switch would be located, and the run cap is located as a wart on the side of the motor. This is my best guess from what I found anyway.

Here is a link to the motor:

http://www.a1poolparts.com/-strse-1253/ ... Detail.bok

12. Back To Top    #12

lovingHDTV,

It looks like your new motor is indeed a CSCR (capacitor-start, capacitor-run motor. The AO Smith data for model CT-1072 has the following note:

$ Energy Efficient capacitor start, capacitor run “Conservationist” motor
    http://www.aosmithmotors.com/pdf/catalo ... page69.pdf

Titanium
    24,000 gallon inground freeform pool/spa circa 1983 (113 ft perimeter, 625 sq ft) with 350 gallon attached spill-over spa
    2007 2 HP, three-phase Hayward TriStar pump which is powered by an Ikeric VS-200 variable speed drive system
    1983 Laars XE Pool/Spa Heater Type ES 400,000 BTU, 1998 Hayward Super Star-Clear C-4000 cartridge filter (400 sq ft, 4 separate cartridges)
    One skimmer :( and one PoolSkim :), One Supervision Galaxy LED pool lamp, Second story solar panels
    Hayward/GoldLine AquaLogic PS4 (replaced 1983 vintage dual circuit Intermatic timer)

13. Back To Top    #13

I thought I had read that somewhere but could not locate it.

Gads, I'm a conservationist now . . .

Thanks for the pointer.

14. Back To Top    #14

lovingHDTV,

I think that we are all "conservationists" when it comes down to it.

This is too late for your situation, but I will probably completely get rid of my 3/4 HP booster pump and the Poalris 360 that it powers next year. I have found a pressure side cleaner called Pressure PoolCleaner which can run off of my normal filter pump and doesn't need a booster pump.

http://www.thepoolcleaner.com/pressurepoolcleaner.html

Titanium

15. Back To Top    #15

A quick update in case anyone else wants/needs to replace their booster pump motor.

I ended up buying my motor online because I could not find any local pool store that sold the CSCR motors and as they use ~25% less power and run much quieter I wanted one.

The motor I bought works great for my Hayward 5060 booster pump. I've never done this before but was able to figure it out. I did have to have the PS remove the impeller as I could not do it and did not want to break it trying to force its removal. As I bought my shaft seal from them they did not charge me for it and were helpful showing me how to install the shaft seal. Those seals are pretty cool.

It is all up and running without a hitch and is much quieter. I can't hear the pumps at the pool anymore! I can however still hear my neighbors pumps

dave

16. Back To Top    #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Titanium
    lovingHDTV,

I think that we are all "conservationists" when it comes down to it.

This is too late for your situation, but I will probably completely get rid of my 3/4 HP booster pump and the Poalris 360 that it powers next year. I have found a pressure side cleaner called Pressure PoolCleaner which can run off of my normal filter pump and doesn't need a booster pump.

http://www.thepoolcleaner.com/pressurepoolcleaner.html

Titanium
    The 360 is the ONLY model in the Polaris line that does NOT need a booster pump but just runs off the returns of the pool! Are you sure you don't have a 380?

17. Back To Top    #17

waterbear,

I really do know better than to try and rely on my memory alone.

You are, of course, correct. I do have a Polaris 380 and not a Polaris 360 like I previously reported.

Good catch.

Titanium