Few Questions

May 12, 2011
Hi Guys..just got a Pentair IC40 installed. 24X52 AG round pool. My dealer is giving me some info that honestly doesn't make sense to me. He is telling me that I should have very low FC readings on a daily basis..he said that it should be kept at .5-1 ??? :?: I questioned him and he said if I keep the FC reading higher than it is defeating the purpose of having the saltwater in the first place. So I took his advice and yesterday the water started to get a green tint to it. I set the chlorinator on Boost overnight and the water is clear again with a FC reading slightly above 1 (Aquacheck Test Strip). I have about 50-60 CYA in the pool. Its not even that warm out yet so what he is telling me makes no sense..

Thanks!

I've hear of some people who are able to run their SWG at an FC of 1.0 to 1.5, with only occasional algae problems, but never below that. If you want to be Trouble Free follow our recommendations in Pool School.

all the pools I've looked at recently with an IntelliChlor and IC40 are maintaining FC at 3.0 to 4.0 at a minimum and have no issues.

it would be interesting to test a pool down to a FC 1.0 but I would only do this with a pump runtime at 24/7, may test it with my own pool later this summer as nightime temps stay over 30 C

Thanks guys..Funny thing is I started questioning him after reading pool school!! LOL...The thing that threw me a bit was when he said if the chlorine is kept at levels like a regular chlorine pool than I wont be getting the benefit of the salt..My kids have a slight allergy to chlorine so thats why I got the SWG to begin with. I guess I will have to experiment with pump run time and SWG output and try to keep the FC as low as possible.

Yea I think you may be right..they had issues at a freinds pool so I dont know how he was taking care of it. So if I understand correctly, FC is not the cause of skin irritations, red eye, etc and the saltwater basically softens the water. The chloromines are the culprit.

You are correct. If you maintain the levels recommended here you won't have any problems. In fact my wife complains "our pool doesn't smell like a pool, it has no smell at all". Even right on the water you can't smell any chlorine.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.