Aqualink RS and Jandy ePump...Happy Together?...Eh....Maybe.

May 3, 2011
I have an opportunity to buy a complete, used Aqualink RS with PDA, said to be 2 years old.

Reviewing the Jandy ePump manual, it says that the ePump is compatible with Aqualink RS systems "of Revision "O" or higher".

Questions:

1) Where on the RS system do I look, to determine the Revision level, and

2) If the RS is at a lower revision level than "O", does this mean a simple mod (such as a firmware flash or something) can bring it current, Or, are they referring to Hardware revision, thus making the system incompatible w/ ePump without spending big bucks on a new board, to bring it up to the current Revision level?

3) For anyone out there controlling an ePump with an RS, how do you like it? Any Issues?

Update, here are some pics....

2931661110011691741S600x600Q85.jpg

2563484510011691741S600x600Q85.jpg

2389034140011691741S600x600Q85.jpg

Thanks!
Rob

Re: Aqualink RS and Jandy ePump...Happy Together?

Well, check this out....A very nice rep at Jandy (Zodiac) was able to explain that a simple PPD chip upgrade, is all that is needed! Oh, Joy!

You are now chatting with 'Rep'

Rep: Thank you for contacting Zodiac. My name is <deleted>, how may I assist you today?

Robert: Hello, I have a question regarding a Jandy RS system with PDA. The PPD chip on it is "PDA 6" #8272.

Robert: Will this system run a new Jandy E-Pump and control all the Epump features or will I need a higher revision of the PPD?

Rep: Depends on what the revision you have now is. It will need to be revision 5.0 or newer

Robert: OK...So does the "PDA 6" on the white label affixed to the PPD chip indicate it is a rev 6?

Rep: No it does not.

Robert: And the #8272?

Rep: No it would say something like "FIRM 4.3" or REV5.5

Robert: It seems odd that there would be a white label affixed to the PPD with all of this information, and yet this tells us nothing?

Rep: The firmware should be on the that sticker. Behind the main board.

Robert: You mean the sticker that is on the PPD chip, right?

Rep: Yes correct.

Robert: That sticker says:

Robert: First Line: PDA 6

Robert: Second Line: P & S

Robert: Third Line: 8272

Robert: I can email you a pic if necessary

Rep: Please email to <deleted>

Robert: Just emailed you the photos

Rep: I will get them soon. Please hold.

Robert: Thanks, I appreciate the help.

Rep: I just got them. Appears this unit was manufactured in 2006. This will be well before the time we came out with the revision that will support our Epumps and LED lights. You will need to upgrade the chip. Part number R0443100

Robert: Was just checking online, it looks like this chip costs $600+?

Robert: Well it looks like my plan to buy an ePump and use this RS is not going to work.

Rep: You can also try purchasing a conversion kit. Part number PDACONVJ.

Rep: This comes with a new board and chip and PDA remote. I have heard that they be cheaper than just buying the chip. Not sure.

Robert: Wow...

Rep: It is cheaper?

Rep: Is there anything else I may assist you with at this time Robert?

Robert: PDACONVJ - 618.30

Robert: R0443100 - Also 618.30

Rep: And this will give you the latest and greatest revision

Robert: LOL, Yes and an empty wallet...

Robert: and a divorce

Rep: BUT......an EPUMP! :)

Rep: LOL

Robert: That cost is 3/4 the cost of the epump.

Robert: I don't need anything else, Thanks for your help. You might want to forward the text of this chat to senior management.

Robert: Epump sale - Lost

Robert: 2006 RS system >>> Dead End

Rep: Yeah, sorry about that Robert.

Robert: No problem, not your fault

Rep: Have a great day. Thank you for chatting.

Chat session has been terminated by the representative.

Re: Aqualink RS and Jandy ePump...Happy Together?...Eh....Ma

Ug...

Sorry man. Bright side is that the VS driver in the RS is pretty useful. You can program it to change speed when certain AUX units are turned on, or on a schedule. Plus the new firmware (Q) supports a bunch of other new stuff like the watermatic/chemlink.

My head hurts after reading this. How is it that my Logitech Harmony One remote which cost under $200 can be hooked up to my computer, communicate with the Logitech website and update itself, but my $1000+ Aqualink PDA is basically a lump of coal when it comes to controlling any new equipment/technology that has come out since I got it (in 2007).

I'll admit, I like my Aqualink PDA, but it was definitely lacking in some areas (like backlighting - it's either always on (like I have to manually turn the back light on) or it's always off - it doesn't come on and off automatically with use, like any $20 TV remote does).

RCY, my sentiments exactly. Fortunately for me, I didn't buy the Aqualink RS from my neighbor.

Jandy/Zodiac's "screw the customer" business approach is why I decided to go with a Pentair Intelliflo pump instead, and will eventually get an Intellitouch, but, I'm fully expecting to run into similar shenanigans from Pentair also at some point.

Pool automation and control in general are stuck in a time warp at roughly 1987.

1987....lol...no kidding.

I should be able to run everything via my iPhone/Android/Blackberry via Bluetooth or even remotely via internet connection.....hmmm...OK..don't steal my idea....lol

***edit*** Looks like Pentair has already stolen my idea...hahaha

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.