Can I fix my Polaris myself?

TizMe

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 26, 2007
Covington, Georgia
We have a Polaris 65 and the directional ports on the underside are not working properly. I know there is a repair kit availale but are these hard to repair our should I just take it up to the pool store and let them deal with it ?
This has been a pool season I hope to never repeat !!

I repair mine myself.

I have the same polaris you do, if you tell me what is wrong, I might be able to give you a fix that is free.

Is it just that the ports never change from the front to back or vice versa? (like its stuck in one direction).

Wolf, When I took it out of the pool the other day it appeared only one side of the Polaris port was running. If you look at it from the top and with the nose facing away from you, at the time I looked at it only the rear left jet was running. My Polaris always seems to go in circles (to the left) and when it does go straight it only goes straight for maybe 2 feet the stops and reverses itself. I have tried increasing and decreasing the water pressure valve and that doesnt make a difference. We have had it looked at once already and the guy at the pool store told me it was the "piston" inside wasnt working right. So I dont know if its the same problem or a new one? It somehow keeps getting hung up in its own hose and doesnt do the job it should be doing.

If you could make some suggestions, or tell me how to fix the problem I would appreciate it !!

Thanks!

Sorry its taken me a few days to get back.

There is a ball inside of the assembly that they call a randomizer. It blocks one side of the jets "randomly".

The jets pointing forward are a set, and the jets pointing backward are a set.

As long as it is changing directions ok, the piston isnt a problem.

Does it really only take 2 seconds before it changes directions? If so, the water pressure is WAYYYY to high. You need to open that little turn valve where the hose connects to your pool return a lot.

It should take around 10-15 seconds for it to decide to change direction when the pressure is right.

Another thing to inspect is to take the top off, and look at the 4 black jet tubes coming from the main piston in the middle. Inspect them for cracks or breaks. They tend to get brittle in the sun, and they will crack pretty easily.

Let me know what you come up with.

Wolf, Thanks for getting back to me with repair tips. I am working Sat in the office and its usually pretty quiet so I had planned to take the Polaris with me and "tinker" with it then. I wont be able to reply to you about the findings for a few days. Thanks for the info and I will let you know what I come up with ....

Do I need to be greasing any parts or anything like that?

Nah, dont grease anything in there.

It all just pushes together.

What i commonly find is wrong with mine, is if you take the plunger out of the piston, there is a clear vinyl plastic seal around the edges of the plunger. Its designed in such a way that water pressure from either side will push it harder against the outside container of the piston.

I usually can revive my polaris by taking a plastic toothbrush, or some other rounded plastic instrument, and running it around the inside of each side of the piston gasket, stretching and forming it back outward.

Ive only had to do that once really well, and the polaris has worked like a champ all summer.

If you give me some more specific information, I can help with a more specific/targeted fix.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.