How long to get FC up?

Hurricane Gio

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 6, 2010
Coral Gables, FL
I had some issue stetting my FC up form the T15 cell. It was down to 0-1 today so I checked the cell again. It had some crust so I cleaned it again. This time a stronger solution sand it appears clean now.

I have it running at 100% to get the FC up ASAP as I have a pool party on Sunday. How long before it will get into the 4-5 range? The pump run 20 hrs a day.

Thanks

I'd take it to the desired level you want with some bleach and then let the cell maintain that for you. No need in working it overtime. You also avoid FC being too low and allowing the Green Goblins to grow.

RobbieH said:
Why not just pour in some Clorox?

1. The kids hate bleach pool
2. So does the wife
3. So do I, I am spoiled with the SWG.
4. I don't want to buy 50 gallons of Clorox! Or maybe less, LOL

I just added borates last week, so I am not too worried about algae. Its been a week now with this issue and nothing. The water is clear and soft.

Chlorine is chlorine is chlorine. It doesn't matter where it comes from. The SWG pool feels better because of the salt, not because of the SWG.

SWGs are not designed to raise the FC level up from zero. Yours might be able to do it, and it might not. It is much better to add some bleach to bring FC up to normal levels and then let the SWG maintain it from there.

JasonLion said:
Chlorine is chlorine is chlorine. It doesn't matter where it comes from. The SWG pool feels better because of the salt, not because of the SWG.

SWGs are not designed to raise the FC level up from zero. Yours might be able to do it, and it might not. It is much better to add some bleach to bring FC up to normal levels and then let the SWG maintain it from there.

So I have to use bleach? The SWG won't get it up in 48 hrs? I know chlorine is chlorine, but with a SWG i get know clorox smell, green hair, bleaching of clothes or having that belch feeling in the eyes.
Even is a preface balanced pool with bleach, I can feel it in my eyes and what not.

I know it DOES wear on your clothes and will mess with dyed hair.

So I defiantly should add bleach? If I use clorox, what % is that compared to Pool store bleach? This way I can use the Pool cal.

You will (should) only get clorox smell when your chlorine level is too LOW. That's the chlorimates you smell, not the clorine itself. Same for the burning eyes.

You won't get bleached hair if you put your FC at the PROPER level. It simply won't happen. We are in our 40's, and as you can guess my wife dyes her hair. We have ZERO issues with our pool causing issues with dyed hair.

I promise you, if you chlorinate your pool with your SWG, it is not different at all than chlorinating with Clorox. So at the same FC and CYA, it won't matter on your clothes or hair whether the chlorine came from SWG or a bottle.

I strongly suggest you use regular store bleach rather than something from the pool store. Pool store chlorinators almost always have other junk in them you do not need.

poolcalculator.com can tell you how much to add based on your current FC and pool size, make sure you read the bottle for the percentage (Clorox is 6% usually).

Gio - here in So. Fla., you can go to Leslie's or Pinch-a-penny for 10% liquid CL. You "buy" the 2.5 gallon jug and refill for $4.89. Leslie's just finished a buy 2 get 1 free deal. there is also a PS on Sunset and 97th (don't recall exact address) that sent out a flyer recently for CL at $3.89 or so. I may test that out one of these days.

On a separate matter, I am looking forward to the Golden years! []_[]!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
That's great!

Prav, you guys are lucky. We have neither of those resources available to us here in Dallas. We even have a Leslie's Commercial outlet by my house, and they say they don't have 10%. Now that I have the LQ, it's less of a hassle though. Clorinating my pool doesn't work with just one bottle! :)

I bought 3x 2.5 gallons of 10% for $10 almost 4 weeks ago, and I still have about 2 gals left. Been using it every night for at least 30-45 mins and longer on weekends, do guess low consumption.

Hurricane Gio said:
I know chlorine is chlorine, but with a SWG i get know clorox smell, green hair, bleaching of clothes or having that belch feeling in the eyes.
Even is a preface balanced pool with bleach, I can feel it in my eyes and what not.

I know it DOES wear on your clothes and will mess with dyed hair.

So I defiantly should add bleach? If I use clorox, what % is that compared to Pool store bleach? This way I can use the Pool cal.

As noted, the smell is from cloramines not FC- you can get the same smell from a SW pool if you contaminate and have CC!

The green hair issue (not dyed, but hair turning green) is usually from copper, not FC/bleach

FC can affect clothes and hair- at extremely high levels- whether it came from bleach, or SWCG the effect would be the same (so if CYA at 70, and FC at 40 or something, you might start seeing effects)

Finally, the eye issue- CC can irritate eyes, but so can pH and crystal pure water!

The inside of your eye is pH 7.5 I think- anything different can cause irritation; the more different, the more irritation!

Also, the inside of your eye is like 9000 ppm TDS- pure water causes osmosis through your eyeball, causing massive irritation!

That's the biggest reason why SW pools are less irritating- the TDS is closer, and the osmosis effect is greatly diminished!

The point being the the bleach doesn't cause any of these effects by itself- the pool is balanced to

A- kill germs/algae
B- look appealing
C- feel appealing

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.