Fill with pond water??

Jul 5, 2010
NE OHIO
I saw that some have done this, but I wanted some wise words on whether or not we should. We were thinking of filling our pool the rest of the way with water from our pond. We have an above ground pool that is 30 feet across. We need about 12 inches of water. If I figured right that should be around 5300 gallons of water. This is only the 2nd year we have had the pool, so I don't know too much. We wanted to take water from the pond off the end of our dock, so we wouldn't pull things from the bottom. We would use panty hose at the end going into the pool to catch anything we happen to suck up. Does this sound like it will be ok?? Would we need to shock the pool after this. I haven't checked any levels yet, but I would guess the CYA level is pretty low.

Great!!! Hopefully we won't need to though. I went to walmart to get my bleach and Conditioner, came home and my husband said it rained while I was gone and the pool went up 1 1/2 inches. Then got another storm that went through and gained another 3 inches. More rain is expected the next couple days, so maybe we can get it high enough to start to run the pump! Was well worth running a pipe from our gutter to the pool. I love not having to buy water :party:

Not really swimming pool related, but pond related
My Grandfather owned a 40 acre lot outside of Atlanta, with 2 ponds on it.
He used the ponds as the water supply for his greenhouses (commercial greenhouses, growing poinsettas, mums, and Easter lilies)
Pond water is fine for most purposes- probably not for consumption without some treatment, but everything else if probably fine!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.