Ready to install new IntelliFlo VS

ea75

Apr 1, 2011
Modesto, CA
Quick question for you guys that have installed this. I noticed in the manual that this model doesn't come with the Pentair union kit (#357603). Upon a quick search on the web, I couldn't find this part number being sold...poolsupplyworld has a Pentair union kit (different part number). Maybe Pentair changed the part #?

Did any of you install the union kits, and if so, which part #?

Thanks

Re: New Intelliflo VS pump.

I went ahead and ordered the new pump over the weekend. It's on sale now from poolsupplyworld for $839 shipped.

For the unions, thanks for the reply. I will go ahead and just get standard unions from Home Depot or similar. I thought the Pentair unions would save a part and time...looks like the fittings go right into the pump inlet and outlet, so you're saving one glued joint? No biggie...I can save money I'm sure just getting the parts from Home Depot.

Now, on to the fun stuff...my first pump install. Should be simple as a direct replacement. My setup actually has two pumps. One pump for the main filtering/heating of pool/spa and one separate pump for the spa, non-filtered, plumbed with an open air pipe for air into the spa returns. Well, from what I understand, not completely separate...the second pump is returned to the same spa returns/jets as the first pump...just with an open pipe for air as well. (I posted a few pics back in a thread in this forum a couple weeks back, after my second spa pump housing broke from freeze damage.)

I was going to use this one pump and just use some valving, etc, to replace both. But for my first install, just doing a direct replacement will be a piece of cake, instead of installing a bunch of new check valves, 3-way valves, etc, etc. And not being 100% sure (I'm 99% sure) about how the second pump is plumbed, I will just go with the replacement route and maybe move the replaced pump or housing over to the broken one.

Anyway, thanks for all the reviews and info. Excited about the install and saving some money.

OK, got my pump and ready to install possibly this weekend, if I round up all the supplies. Doing research at the moment, but if someone can help me out on a quick question, I would appreciate it.

I already bought a couple unions at Home Depot the other day. What about the PVC primer/glue? In quick research, some state that it's recommended in non-pressure systems, etc. So, while I research this quickly, anyone can point me to a specific brand or type that is at HD?

This is in regards to installing the new VS pump in place of my current pump. A couple suctions side joints and a couple pressure side.

Thanks

I think that was the first I looked at that mentioned 'non-pressure' systems, which is why I asked (maybe the 'medium' cement is the detail I'm missing).

Do you have any experience with Christy's red hot blue glue? Looks like this fits the bill well, not needing the primer and fast setting as well. The reviews I can see seem good, too.

Thanks for the quick reply.

OK, sounds good. I was planning on using a primer, but if a product doesn't recommend it, I'm weary about going against manufacturer instructions. I think they say it's not needed for 2.5" and under or something. I just didn't want to mix something that wouldn't be compatible, etc.

That's why I'm asking here...to get everything straight before I do the job. : )

Thanks again. Appreciate all the help.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

OK, quick question on a quick inspection of my setup.

It appears the new pump inlet is about 1-2" inches higher than my old pump. The inlet pipe has a run of about a foot or so, so I won't be able to make up that inch difference without having too much angle in the PVC joints.

Are there any fittings/adapters out there without having to put in two 45s to move up that inch or two? Something like an S curve or slight step adapter?

Normally you would go back to some earlier joint that determined the height of the inlet pipe and change that so the entire pipe was at the correct height. Other than that, you use two 45s or get a piece of flex.

OK, two 45s will have to do then. Going back to the previous joint takes me to a Jandy 3 way valve for the pool main drain, skimmer, and one of the spa main drains. So, way too much replumbing. :)

I was just hoping there were pre-made S adapters rather than having to use 2 45s and 4 more joints to worry about. No biggie though.

OK, still getting ready to install the pump...turns out the old and new pump inlets actually are about the same height. It's just that the existing pump is angled down towards the suction side, where the backend isn't resting on the support. Looks like whoever installed this setup years ago didn't make the suction side pipes out of the ground high enough by about an inch or two and this was their solution...unless it was by design to have all air bubbles travel up to the pump basket?

So, I can either do the same with the new pump and put some rubber mat under the back end to relieve any stress on the joints and install it on the slight angle, replacing like with like. Or, I can try to level the inlet pipe and the pump, but be left with the 2" or so mismatch. I did find a 2" PVC dogleg (offset fitting) online. My only concern is fitting everyhing in the limited amount of space I have. I need to add a union and this potential dogleg fitting all the while making cuts to leave enough piping to slip on the new fittings.

It will be close, so I'm not sure what I should do at this point. Gotta love projects like these...you won't know how everything goes together best until you're half way into it.

Just to show you what I'm replacing...the pump on the right:
file.php

file.php

So, as you can see, the suction line going into the pump isn't that long and there's only another 6" or so of play to the fence. So, if I try to level the suction line and the pump, I don't have that small amount of space to cut that suction line, add a union and a dogleg and into the new pump.

So, I guess my real question is...Was the angle to the suction line and the pump itself deliberate and should I model that with the new pump?

It ought to be level. It isn't the end of the world if it isn't, but level is preferred. The easy way is to tilt it. Everything else I can think of means moving more pipes. You could turn the filter 180 and forward towards the electrical panel, and then put a 45 on the feed to the pump so it angles back behind the filter. That is a bunch more work, but it could make the whole setup cleaner.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.