What salt system for my setup?

May 12, 2011
I'm new here, so please bear with me... I did several searches, but didn't find the answers I was looking for.

I'm remodeling my pool, and to save money for things I cannot do, I'm doing some of the work myself.

Here is what I have:
20x40 oval w/ 9' deep end, and attached 4 person spa
Hayward: Northstar pump, DE filter, gas heater
Polaris: Eos Command Center & valve actuators, spa side remote, wireless remote, and (uninstalled) C2100 ORP

Question 1: I've wanted to add a salt chlorinator, and planned to get the Polaris Auto Clear Plus (to match control equipment), but it seems to have been discontinued, though still available. Should I stick to the Polaris brand to match control equipment, or go with Hayward to match the cleaning equipment, or some other brand?

Question 2: Would a non-Polaris salt generator work with my Eos Command Center & ORP?

I think that is about it for now. Any advice would be appreciated.

The SWG will integrate better with the EOS if you get the AutoClear Plus or a Hayward AquaRite, but any brand will work. If you get an non-Polaris non-Hayward SWG it won't integrate with the EOS remote or work with the ORP controller.

In general, I don't recommend ORP control. It adds complexity, often has problems, and gains very little for an outdoor pool.

I read that the AutoClear Plus was discontinued when Polaris / Zodiac / Jandy merged just to lighten the number of competing products in their portfolio. Is that true, or is there something wrong with the product? I can't seem to find any one-single product dominating the opinion polls. Seems to be a mixed bag of love/hate with every product out there.

Monrocm

I read what you said earlier about Polaris and Hayward SWG systems being more compatible with my Eos Command Center and ORP. Jandy wasn't listed in that recommendation; was that an oversight, or intentional? I would have thought if the new company eliminated a product, the surviving product would take it's place in the market, and be just as compatible. Did they not follow that logic when they selected the Jandy over the Polaris SWG system?

Monrocm

The EOS was designed from the start to work with the Polaris and Hayward SWGs. In the long run they will no doubt convert it over to work with the Jandy SWG, but as far as I know they haven't done that yet. These mergers take time, and supporting different SWGs takes work. It is often easier to just leave things alone until the next major revision and deal with it then. That is what I assume is going on here.

The most affordable is probably the CompuPool CPSC48, designed for pools up to 60,000 gallons. You could go with the next size smaller, the CPSC36, but getting the larger unit saves you money in the long run. They are usually the best value for an in-ground pool, though occasionally someone else has a sale and the ranking switch around.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.