FC .5
CC 0
PH 8.2
TA 110
CH 360
CYA 45
temp 86
Salt 4000

Salt has been running high and im going to turn down the SWG from 50% to 40% today.The pool calculator doesn't say to add bleach but it seems as it's low I should.... Waiting on you experts to give me the low down- thx!

Based on your CYA of 45 you should target between 5 and 6 ppm chlorine according to the CYA/Chlorine chart. I would add bleach (chlorine).

I am curious, why would turn down your SWG because the salt is running high? I would think you should do just the opposite because your FC is low. But then again, I do not have a SWG so I will leave that to those that do.

Temp is 86. Get in the water! :cool:

There are a couple of different things that need adjusting here. First, lower your PH to 7.2 and always keep your PH below 8.0. Lowering PH will start to bring the TA down. You want to continue lowering PH to 7.2 every time it gets to 7.8 until your TA is below 80.

Your CYA level is way to low for use with a SWG. You want to raise CYA up to around 70 to 80. At low CYA levels the SWG can't keep up with chlorine loss due to sunlight. Once CYA comes up the SWG will do much better.

Finally, SWGs are not designed to bring the FC level up from zero. You should manually add some chlorine to establish a normal FC level and the SWG will have a much easier time keeping up from there than it will trying to raise FC up from zero.

Also Jason the SWG has been running high and till last week has had the chlorine high(4300) and it's been shutting down to protect itself.... Chlorine levels plummeted though this week...guessing due to higher temps/sunnier days.....have had no rain in months...we're in extreme drought here in South Mississippi

4300 is not the chlorine level, thats the salt level in the pool. Turning down the generator has nothing to do with lowering from 4300. Going down is going to lower the FC (.5). If you want to lower your salt level (4300) your going to have remove and replace some water from the pool.

Sorry, I meant to say that the high salt levels(4300) seem to have been keeping my FC high...does that sound right?The high salt was also trying to shut down the SWG(or going into safety mode).....now this week the FC fell really low but it's been much hotter and sunnier this week. When I plugged the .5 into the pool calculator w a target of 5 nothing happened after I hit calculate....thought I was going nuts as I figured I needed bleach. Maybe it just didn't register. With all that said I recalculated tonight (on pool calc) & it said to add bleach. Phew. I will add water, bleach & more stable- sound right?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.