Yellow pool

Lynne

May 12, 2011
Hello,
I have been struggling with getting my pool clear for the summer. It started off dark green I shocked with Chlorine and Hydrogen Peroxide over a period of 1 week. I then Flocked it twice and now the water is clear and seemly clean but the pool looks yellow. I have brushed the walls, the Chloride is high, the PH is 7.4, I have hoovered this morning and re started the pump after the flocking. I put some water in glass and it looks perfectly clear which would suggest the problem is on the sides or at the bottom. But apart from hoovering and brushing which I can continue to do what can be done.

What do I do now to get the pool a crystal blue colour.

I am fairly new to this I live in Italy so chemical names may be different but as long as the composition is the same I should be able to get anything at our local pool shop.

Ciao,

Welcome to TFP!

First, please post a full set of numbers for your pool water and how you tested the water (pool store, strips, test kit). Next, please tell us more about your pool (filter, pump size, finish of pool (vinyl, concrete, etc.), how many gallons or liters, and any other information that you may have about your pool). These two items will go a long way towards others being able to assist you.

Have you read this: pool-school/defeating_algae

Have you completed an overnight Chlorine loss test? This would indicate if you still have organics in the pool which may be causing the yellow...which I suspect is mustard algae.

You may want to read this: fighting-mustard-algae-yet-again-am-i-on-the-right-track-t12123.html

To defeat algae all you need is a good test kit, lots of liquid bleach (chlorine), patience, and a good brush. It can be done. And you don't need any fancy chemicals, either.

Ciao

To answer your questions - I have tested with DPD tablets this morning, the reading only goes to 3.0 but colour was bright pink, so I am assuming it is high.

The pool is inground 12x6 mtrs ( 36x18 approx) with liner, the pump is a Hayward Max Flo 330/12V, we believe it is 80,000 litres, it is 1.4 meters deep with a level bottom.

I haven't done an overnight test, but without a more accurate measurement I can only go on the colour. However I did test yesterday and it looks the same.

I will read the links you sent me

Many thanks

So I did some more Google searching because I was really curious about using Hydrogen Peroxide and Chlorine to shock the pool. How did you accomplish this? Unfortunately Google was not very informative.

However, chem geek had this to say, "Hydrogen peroxide is incompatible with chlorine and in fact can be used as a chlorine neutralizer. Hydrogen peroxide is not an EPA-approved disinfectant for pools or spas. It is approved in Australia, but you have to use rather high levels for sanitation."

Just curious...thanks.

Chlorine and hydrogen peroxide destroy each other when used at the same time. Hydrogen peroxide is an effective oxidizer when used alone, but not an effective sanitizer. It is often used when shocking along with baqua, which is a sanitizer but not an oxidizer.

the water sample in a glass may have looked clear, but could still be slightly yellow. It could be the cumalative effect of the 1.4 meters of water, and not staining on wall, or it could be on pool wall, or could be a combination...
I think sulfur can also sometimes turn water yellow, in addition to the possiblilty of Iron...
How is your fill water?

I put the HP in first after about 5 days that didn't make much difference I reverted back to chlorine. So didn't put them in together. The pool shop here sold it to me said it was better than chlorine.

I thought of iron, we are taking the water from a well so that could be the case although didn't happen last year.

Talk about bad timing now have to fly to UK tomorrow, leaving pool in hands of hubby for a week ( horrors). Will turn pump off and see if anything settles overnight and will check chlorine again tonight and before flight tomorrow. Will see what happens. He is not a big internet user so will send him off to pool shop to see if they can advise. I will check in when I get back next week and let you know what happens, if you can advise anything to buy in the meantime.

Thanks

Lynne

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.