hello new here, a few questions

May 8, 2011
Hello everyone, just wanted to drop a line and introduce myself. For the past 10 years I have dreamed of owning a pool for my family, however, the backyard would not fit one. We love our area and did not want to move, but opportunity knocked when my friend purchased lots at the end of the street and built us a great house.

Our property is 77x197 and the back is beautiful. Our house has a built in porch on the back, and before we lost access to the rear from our neighbours moving in, we built a pool in late September 2010.

The company was amazing and were in and out. I have friends who did custom stamp concrete all around and a huge patio. our backyard has an elevation so from front to back we have a drop of 4'. So we back filled the edge with armor stones. Late October I built a custom shed/pool room. I still need to paint it and design the kitchen and change room but looks ok for now. We are just starting to landscape in the next 2 weeks, grass, gardens etc

Anyways, a bit about the pool. We have an 18x36 mountain lake pool, vinyl liner and an entire hayward system. I dont know all the models but we have a pump, sand filter and a prologic with p4 remote? we also have a hayward heater, I will get model numbers this week.

The pool is saltwater with 8' steps in shallow end and swim out steps in the deep end replacing a ladder. We upgraded to 2 LED lights with multiple colors. I didnt want to add all the extras, but regret not getting a waterfall

Anyways, 2 weeks ago we opened the pool. I had a company open and close it for me. We added 10 bags of salt to the water, as we closed the pool last year without adding any salt. All seems well so far, and I have began doing a weekly water checks at my local pool store.

So we have yet to use the pool, as we are going on vacation next week, and dont want to waste heating it yet. We just added a solar blanket and are wondering if we should add a roller. I guess the roller will need to be placed in the middle and our pool installer is suggesting that we dont use one.

Also, I am trying to figure out my gallons. Based on the pool stores chart a mountain lake 18x36 with a 3.5 to 8' deep end is 73,800L I have tried a couple of online calculators, but our pool does not fit the general round, or rectangle mold. They tend to put me around 80,000L.

Anyways, since we have decided to not heat the pool yet, it remains at 64. I am not suppose to turn on salt generator until 68 so yesterday I added to packages of vinyl shock. That treats up to 100,000L so I hope that should be good for the next week or so.

I look forward to reading, learning and helping as I understand more. I paid the opening company to come and do a walk through, they showed me the A to Z of my pool and how to do everything from adding chemicals, vaccuming, filter back wash and so on.

I just picked up an aqua vac and want to learn how to program my pump to run 12 hours at night, 1 hour mid day and then use the aqua vac in the afternoon to clean and circulate the pool

I will post pictures soon, and again, cant wait to get to know all of you. I really enjoy forums and hope to contribute as I develop.

Welcome to TFP!

You should do some reading at Pool School and invest in a top quality test kit. If you don't have good chemical level numbers you have to guess and you make mistakes and end up wasting chemicals and spending extra money.

thanks for the welcome, I have been checking out pool school and find it very useful. I have had a hot tub for 10 years and I understand water chemistry to some degree, saltwater has added a new mix to the equation.

I am not sure about the water kit because I plan on going to have my water tested 2 times a week. My local store is on my way to work and they test for free. My friend has used them for years and swears by their service.

I am considering the sense and dispense system as well which will auto adjust ph and chlorine for me.

thanks again for the welcome

Sense and Dispense, like all PH/ORP automation systems adds complexity without helping very much. ORP systems are problematic with SWGs, while simple percentage based automation does a great job. Meanwhile, chemical levels can often be balanced so you don't really need PH automation.

Some pool stores are great, some very much not so great. But no pool store can give you consistent reliable test results when you need them. Most of the time, it doesn't matter, but when something goes wrong, getting quick feedback from a test result right when you need it can make the difference between a clear pool and days of fighting algae. No pool store is open all the time.

Hi! The best kit for the money is the TF 100. You can also find the Taylor k2006 kit online. Both of these kits will allow you to take control of your pool.

Taylor makes several test kits, but only the k2006 or the TF 100 contain the FAS-DPD test that allows you to test chlorine levels greater than 5ppm. That is an essential test if you ever have to deal with an algae bloom.

I also recommend the TF-100 from http://www.tftestkits.net/ but if you have to have the Taylor, make sure it's the K-2006. We've found that people trying to buy the kit at a store has been sold the K-2005 and have been told it's the same. It's not! The kit you want has to have the FAS-DPD test, and not just the DPD test. By the way, Tftestkits sells the K-2006 as well.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.