Pool automation

doopie

Feb 11, 2011
Fort Worth, Tx
I have been looking at automation and it seems there are many out there.

What are people using and do you recommend it? We need at least 10 auxiliary connections for pool equipment so it threw the jandy aqualink pda out the door after talking to their rep. We have all Jandy equipment and never lube valves so I have the ability to move stuff around.

I want to be able to program modes so that it will control various components with a single touch that I can program through my PC if needed.

Thanks,

Raymond

doopie said:
I have been looking at automation and it seems there are many out there.

What are people using and do you recommend it? We need at least 10 auxiliary connections for pool equipment so it threw the jandy aqualink pda out the door after talking to their rep. We have all Jandy equipment and never lube valves so I have the ability to move stuff around.

I want to be able to program modes so that it will control various components with a single touch that I can program through my PC if needed.

Thanks,

Raymond

Tell me more about what specifically the connections are. You can control up to 24 with an aqualink, just need to buy a big enough unit. The "Palm" remote works with any version, but for larger systems you still need a oneTouch or Touch as the main controller to do the programming. The RS8 and lower can be had with a special version of the Palm that can be used as the main controller, but even then it's limited in what it can setup. I have an RS12, which can control 12 relays or combination of relays and actuators. I use a Palm to control the devices on/off and set temps when we're outside by the pool. Inside we have a Touch that sets the schedules and that I use to setup the system. Everything has been surprisingly simple to wire, setup and operate, with no hiccups. We have a combination of stuff, works great.

After lots of research it looks like I can omit all of the pool company systems and just utilize my Elk Controller to do what I need.

I looked at the Hayward PS and it seemed promising and had an Aqua link to hook up to my pc/Elk but then I found someone who was able to use all OTS relays to work around it for much cheaper and still one interface so I can use my phone to control everything once configured.

http://www.cocoontech.com/forums/index. ... opic=12323

Thanks for the info guys.

Raymond

doopie said:
After lots of research it looks like I can omit all of the pool company systems and just utilize my Elk Controller to do what I need.

I looked at the Hayward PS and it seemed promising and had an Aqua link to hook up to my pc/Elk but then I found someone who was able to use all OTS relays to work around it for much cheaper and still one interface so I can use my phone to control everything once configured.

http://www.cocoontech.com/forums/index. ... opic=12323

Thanks for the info guys.

Raymond

Yup, you'll be able to run everything pretty well. Not sure how the ePump works, but if it has a relay for each speed you're set. If not, they probably make a kit to provide the speeds via relays. Temp probes are key. For the actuators (if you have any) jandy makes a relay to JVA converter that requires a 24V AC power supply. If you have cold weather, don't forget a rule for freeze protection!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.