How many laterals in Sand Dollar SD-80

May 9, 2011
Title says it all. I'm getting sand in the pool and after research feel replacing the laterals is the best solution. I do not know how many are in the filter. Also I have thought about buying an entirely new SD-80 due to the fact the filter is very old, maybe 25-30 years. Any ideas, thanks.

My Triton II was installed in 89. I decided to just go ahead and put a new Triton II in place since I had no idea how brittle all the inner workings would be. I feel it was worth the expense to go ahead and do new. I would have done all new sand and such either way, so it wasn't really THAT bad compared to all the parts I'd have to buy and labor I'd be doing to replace all the o-rings, laterals, etc. then hope something's still not broken.

RobbieH said:
My Triton II was installed in 89. I decided to just go ahead and put a new Triton II in place since I had no idea how brittle all the inner workings would be. I feel it was worth the expense to go ahead and do new. I would have done all new sand and such either way, so it wasn't really THAT bad compared to all the parts I'd have to buy and labor I'd be doing to replace all the o-rings, laterals, etc. then hope something's still not broken.

So I can get a new Sand Dollar SD-80 for about $400. After thinking about it for a while I'm pretty sure I will just replace the entire freaking filter. I replaced the pump just a few months ago and feel that after this I will have replaced all the major items, minus the liner. Any thoughts on the price or my approach?

You might compare price at http://www.poolplaza.com/ just to make sure the price you are looking at is in line. Since I replaced mine with pretty much the same filter, changing it was a piece of cake. The hardest part for me was digging and hauling off what was 600 lbs dry sand, more when it was wet. It honestly wasn't as bad as it sounds though :)

I figured my old filter got its money's worth, I can't imagine changing the parts in the filter I got rid of due to the access hole being so small. The newer ones have a MUCH larger hole in top, a better sand drain, etc. So for me it was worth the $800 expense.

RobbieH said:
You might compare price at http://www.poolplaza.com/ just to make sure the price you are looking at is in line. Since I replaced mine with pretty much the same filter, changing it was a piece of cake. The hardest part for me was digging and hauling off what was 600 lbs dry sand, more when it was wet. It honestly wasn't as bad as it sounds though :)

I figured my old filter got its money's worth, I can't imagine changing the parts in the filter I got rid of due to the access hole being so small. The newer ones have a MUCH larger hole in top, a better sand drain, etc. So for me it was worth the $800 expense.

Thanks for the link. I have researched the filter I want and the price the local store up the street is charging combined with a 10% discount is very much in line with online prices. You have me convinced that the old one got its money worth as well and its time to "invest" in the pool once again. I noticed you have a side mount filter, what is the advantage to that setup? Thanks again, you have been very helpful.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.