new iopening after fall conversion

rtd6b

Sep 14, 2010
I converted from Baqucil last fall just before closing my pool. (4' X 24' Round AG, Pentair, Sand) I did a quick test of my water recently to see where I stand before pulling the cover off. My Ph is 7.2 and TA is about 170. My chlorine level understandably is 0 and my CYA level is also 0. The pool calculator is telling me I need about 3.0 lbs of CYA. My questions are: Should I try to bring the CYA level up by dissolving 3 pounds of CYA over a week or should I prolong this, say a pound a week for three weeks, and bring my chlorine level up comesurately or wait until the CYA level is where it needs to be and then attack the chlorine ?

Welcome to TFP! :wave:

I would go ahead and start adding chlorine to the pool and keep the level based off of your current CYA level. You can change the chlorine level as your CYA level changes. CYA is easy to add but very hard to remove (normaly requires water replacement) so add the CYA in steps, not all at once.

:cheers:

I would add the CYA, probably 1/2 of the dose, and add the proper Cl assuming the CYA is there. after about a week, you can retest the CYA and work it up form there; it takes awhile to show on the test for some reason, but it bonds the Cl almost immediately, I think and will keep you from losing as much Cl.
Don't wait to add Cl, a Cl free pool will lead to problems quickly

Like Crook said...

How did you get the test numbers?

You need to add chlorine in there first to get to about 3ppm. Then add the CYA all at once in a sock. let it dissolve and then consider it in there and raise your FC as if the CYA were 30. We'll work on the rest after you post back.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.