The Zodiac "Barracuda" MX8 Suction Side Cleaner

If you're getting a lot of air in the pump basket then you have a suction side leak somewhere. If it only happens when the vacuum is hooked up it could be somewhere in the suction plumbing that only leaks under high suction head, or it could be hose section(s) leaking.

Mike, I haven't used this particulatr model, but a couple things to check that are common problems with suction based cleaners:
1. Are all the hoses locked in securely? If not, air could bleed in.
2. Are you using a leaf catcher? I think there is a special fitting needed for the MX8 to work with the catcher.
3. If you have lost prime and lots of air in the system, it is possible the MX8 is climbing the walls "too well" and is sucking air into the pump. I think there is an adjustment on the unit itself to adjust the climbing ability.

Good luck on diagnosing it, and let me know how it goes

Update on my issue.

I tried just one section of hose and kept it totally in the water and still had air in the pump...not good. So I installed the cleaner in one of my skimmers and it IS getting air in the pump as well. Now that skimmer if it is the only valve open on the suction side without the vac hose it does not have air in the pump. All of my plumbing was pressure tested multiple times. Could it be the pump
gasket? Or something else, yikes.

Have you tried running it with the filter in bypass? If the cleaner runs fine right after backwashing, it may have something to do with the filter.

Are you closing off all your valves and only pulling water through the cleaner? If so, that may be part of your problem. It isn't going to be able to let enough water through to feed the pump by itself.

Re: The Zodiac

rhumbaclave said:
All of my plumbing was pressure tested multiple times. Could it be the pump gasket? Or something else, yikes.
It certainly could be the pump "gasket" (actually it's an o-ring). If you haven't cleaned, inspected and lubed it, you should. It could also be the drain plugs on the pump basket and casing. It could be a valve or fitting leaking air in when put under more suction pressure than normal. Since it only does it when you hook the vac up you might be able to get by with partially opening a second suction (i.e. 2nd skimmer, main drain, etc.) as long as you get enough suction to vacuum.

It's important to find the air leak if you can.

Thanks everyone. I tried the filter on recirculate and nothing changed. I am thinking it has to do with the cheap "red handled" home depot valves I used for individual control of skimmers. It actually sounds like are is getting in the partially closed skimmer valves while the problem is happening, although the way sound travels it is hard to tell for sure. However, i did not check the drain plugs or Lube the O-ring. The leak really only happens when I have the pump on high and on low if I only have the mx-8 draw does move around and vacuum. I have a pentair whisperflo 2hp 2 speed.

MX 8 Vs Kreepy Krauly Classic

So I've been reading a lot of reviews on the MX 8, and a lot of people here are raving about them, but a lot of people on amazon.com are not.

I've read about 5 pages of this thread, and from what I can tell, they seem pretty temperamental with the suction valve controller and several moving parts to get jammed.

One of the things that concerns me is the fact that it doesnt actually scrub anything, it just has suction, where a kreepy krauly style unit has the large surface area that sort of scrubs the surface as it moves along.
If your pool gets to the point where it is a little slimy, is this MX 8 going to work as well at removing that stuff as a kreepy krauly would? (Vinyl liner).

Anyone that has owned both styles for over 1 year have any opinions on this matter?

Generally happy with mine - one trouble spot

Update May 8, 2012

I've given up on solving the problem with various pressures. I've removed enough hose segments to deny my 'Cuda from reaching the steps. Given that I brush the stairs themselves once a week or so, it's not that big of a deal to brush the floor of the pool at the base of the stairs at the same time. Someday, I'll call the scuba repair service back to reshape the last step.

------------------------------------------------------------

Hi all,

I'm new to the board but I see a lot of helpful folk with useful information and I'm hoping there might be some suggestions.

I have an MX8 and I'm very happy with it, except when it gets to the stairs. I have slightly convex curved stairs and the robot comes up against them, begins to climb as if it's a wall, and the rotary sweepers run aground and stop turning. This means the treads never move and he just sits there sucking water until rescued. (see photo attached)

I've carefully calibrated the hose float and the pressure to match specifications. I've also tried increasing the pressure -- this seems to drive him into the stairs even faster.

Any suggestions?

Dave in Cupertino CA

Attachments

• mx8-stuck.JPG
    mx8-stuck.JPG
    428.1 KB · Views: 142

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Galun said:
I had run mine for about a month now.

It does indeed get stuck sometimes on fibrous stringy materials. Sometimes it will be able to "chew it up" into smaller pieces, and sometimes it will just get it stuck. My work around for now is to run the skimmer at two different times of the day to catch the big stuff before they sink. Works out okay.

I run it with a zodiac in line leaf catcher, and so far it only failed to catch 3 small pieces of debris (that ended up in the pool pump basket).

Update after a year.

I gave up on the MX8 today and bought a dolphin deluxe 4. It fails to get leaves and would get stuck all the time. I have little kids and I had installed a safety net over the pool. I am fed up with constantly having to undo the safety net to unclog the stupid thing. Maybe my expectations were too high.

So far I am very happy with the dolphin. The pool had a whole winter's worth of dirt at the bottom, plus some leaves and twigs that somehow got through the leaf cover i have on the pool. So far it had completed 2 cycles (6 hours) without getting stuck. It failed at my steps but was able to climb all the other walls and ledges.

Well, I figure now with the dolphin I don't need to run the cleaner cycle at the pump anymore, so I save 50 cents in electricity a day. That's roughly $600 in savings over 4 years (3 yr warranty + Amex extra year). I would only be out $150 or so if I can get like $150 for the mx-8, and breakeven if the dolphin lasts 5 years. At least that's how I justified it to the wife.

We've had our MX8 for roughly a year.

Hmm. I guess we got lucky, as ours works pretty much beyond expectations, particularly after getting our cleaner line unclogged and working properly... and getting a Hayward in-line leaf basket. We used to have this pool guy who was kind of a dufus and I always wanted to get rid of him. But, he was responsible for vacuuming the pool each week (along with chemicals), and our neighbor's trees are always dumping debris in the pool. Fortunately, after getting the system dialed in (which really took about four months because of unknown cleaner line issues), it works to keep the pool surface quite clean.

Two things it does not do a good job of: cleaning the steps and cleaning the attached spa. Now, a robotic cleaner might do the former, but there's not much to be done regarding the spa. So, occasionally, I'll have to vacuum the spa and steps (maybe once a month or so). The previous problems regarding the cleaner getting stuck due to leaves have been mostly fixed by increasing the vacuum/flow. However, occasionally (maybe every couple of weeks during periods of high leaf droppage, once a month otherwise), it will get stuck and needs to be cleaned out. I actually take the unit apart to thoroughly clean it about once every three months or so, and sometimes the rubber cat-tracks need to be seated properly. I consider this all normal maintenance and it really doesn't bother me. If I had a mesh cover over the pool, I might have a different take on this.

I have considered going with a full-on robotic system, but there are a couple of things holding me back. First is the price. Since our MX8 is working fine for most things, and I don't mind occassionally vacuuming the stairs and spa, the price differential for a robotic cleaner is too great. If I were to get one, I'd likely purchase one with a remote so that I could have all the features. Those are pretty expensive relative to the MX8. The second concern is repair issues. The MX8 has many fewer parts and these are readily available at local and web-based vendors for reasonable cost. Given that water and electronics don't mix very well, there are bound to be expensive issues with robotic cleaners. I'm sure some brands are better than others, but I have read about a few horror stories. Failure of my MX8 means purchasing a couple of cheap parts that are user serviceable, but failure of one of these robotic units often means a trip back to the manufacturer and a likely expensive repair bill.

I think my point is that you need to be realistic about what an inexpensive suction side cleaner can do. If you want absolutely the minimum maintenance, a robotic cleaner is probably the best move. A suction side cleaner will cost much less, but will require more maintenance, and will also need to be dailed in with each pool.

Figured I'd post here instead of opening a new thread. Our pool has a dedicated vacuum line, a skimmer, and a main drain. The goal was to plug the MX8 into the vacuum line; however, with our safety suction cover (one that requires a coin or something to flip open), I could never get a tight fit between the MX8 angled elbow and the vacuum line with the safety suction cover. The suction cover has a couple of little "teeth" that I'm guessing would help attach that angled elbow but it just wouldn't hold. Right now, we're forced to use the MX8 on the skimmer line, which isn't ideal even though our pool is covered with a birdcage. Anyone have any thoughts or solutions on getting that angled elbow to fit within the dedicated suction line?

Ninja, Just curious, why do you say "almost identical design"?

Those two cleaners (at least to me) appear significantly different in almost every way...

mx8 is a parts hog I've had 2 because repairing the first would cost more than new. Second one just cost me 150.00 and we'll see how long it lasts. Go to youtube and Dave who has the biggest pool site reviews cleaners. Go to Poolman Dave. He is great. He covers everything about everything. I don't know who this guy "in the pool industry" is but go to Dave and read.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.