Buying new pool & equipment

Hi all, after a lot of reading on this forum, I think I'm almost ready to actually order my pool and equipment. Below is what I am considering getting, any comments, suggestions, warnings, or other recommendations are appreciated :)

1. The pool I am looking at is a 18' x 38' x 52" A-bracket support AGP with steel walls and resin ledges etc., from http://www.poolfactoryonline.com/pool-s ... ton-oval-3 It's not listed there, but they said they could get it with the A-bracket support in that size for me for about $3,500-3,600 with the liner included (going to get the 72" expandable liner so I can have a deep end). I plan to have it 4 feet above ground with a deck around half of it, and bury the rest a little underground.

2. I am going to get foam coving, and probably foam for the floor and walls also. Any recommendations which works the best for the least?

3. I'm leaning towards getting a sand filter, either the Pentair SD 80 (350lb) for $304 at http://www.vminnovations.com/product_10 ... ilter.html or a Pentair SD 80 with Clear Pro for $374 at http://store.poolcenter.com/pentair-san ... 59044.aspx. Is the Clear Pro, which is supposed to filter finer particles, worth the extra $70?

4. For a pump, the Pentair OptiFlo 1 hp, 2 speed looks good. $229 from http://www.poolsupplyworld.com/poolsupp ... 347990.htm .

5. For a SWG, I think 2 Intex plumbed in parallel should work, and a lot cheaper than the bigger ones. I will disconnect the copper generator parts. About $160 each from Amazon. Will a 1hp pump on low produce enough flow if split between them though? Or will I have to run it on high when making chlorine?

6. I plan to add Borates up to the 50ppm recommended, seems everyone who does it likes the results.

7. Any recommended or hated ladders? I need a ladder from my deck into the pool.

8. Any recommended covers for the pool? I am thinking of trying a solar cover so I get both the cover and heater in one... do they work good enough?

9. Anything else I should look into getting?

Thanks for any help, I'm hoping to order everything this week, and get it installed by the end of May/beginning of June...

Exciting times, indeed. I am jealous, as I did not have any input to the pool that came with the house I purchased.

A few thoughts:

3) From what I have read, I would spend the extra money and get the Clear Pro version. Do a search on this website to see what I mean. However, if it were me, I would go with a cartridge filter. A bit more maintenance (maybe?), but better on the environment with no backwashing. True, they do require hosing off periodically.

4) 2 speed pump is awesome for energy conservation and savings. If/when my single speed pump dies, I will certainly get a 2 speed.

5) Have you considered a peristatic pump http://www.uswatersystems.com/shop/prod ... -Pump.html for chlorine injection? Not to mention, The Liquidator? Once again, just search this site for "rave" reviews. Of course you could be cheap like me and just pour a few ounces of bleach in the pool each day...but that's just me.

6) Borates have worked well for me. But they are a bonus, please make sure that all other parameters are in line first and that you are comfortable with the way your pool functions and acts. Yes, every pool has its own personality...just like bloggers. :lol:

9) Get a "whale-tail" brush. These things are amazing at not only brushing the surface, but also stirring up the water. Oh, don't forget a quality test kit such as the TF-100 and speed stir.

Stay tuned and enjoy a trouble free pool! Don't forget to post photos when you are done.

In reply to voodoo_pool:

3. What size cartridge filter would be equivalent to a 350lb sand filter? I've gone back and forth whether to get sand or cartridge.

5. It seems that a SWG will save money over adding chlorine, and even using the chlorine pumps you have to buy and refill the pumps with chlorine occasionally... so something that is cheaper and easier sounds like the way to go to me lol.

9. Thanks for the recommendation of the whale-tale brush, I do need some cleaning/vacuuming stuff. And I did plan to get the test kit, just forgot to mention it. Is the speed stir worth the extra cost?

Let's see:

3) Fair enough. The "battle" between sand and cartridge is as old as the invention of a pool. Really, it is a personal choice. I am guessing that your pool is 23,000 gallon. However, the decision is also based on pump size. I will defer to others on the forum for size recommendation of a cartridedge filter for your application.

5) You get the idea...it is all about how much time you want to invest.

9) Once again, I am a "manual" kind of guy. However, I have yet to read anything bad about the speed stir...it is highly recommended, but not required.

A 100 to 150 sqft cartridge filter is approximately equivalent to a 350 lb sand filter. However, it is best to get the largest filter you can afford and have space for. Cartridge filters are physically smaller than sand filters and it is well worth going to a larger size.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.