Compupool SWCG issues

Jun 9, 2010
Pearl, MS
I installed a CPSC16 last weekend. It is rated for 20K gallons; my pool is 11K. I've been running it at 70% for three days and the FC is still below 1%. Water is perfectly clear, but it seems it should be making more chlorine. Here's the rest. The salt calculator said said I needed a bit over 300 lbs of salt. I added 240 and when I tested, it showed 8200 ppm (I need 3500). The Compupool display showed 7200. The next day, it dropped to 5400 and the Over Salt light went out. Today, it was back to 7000. The instructions said it would work with a high salt level, but I'm wondering if the output is much lower. Suggestions, anyone?? I added the salt 5 days ago, so it should be dissolved.

Here's my test results. Question - if I see a "cloud" coming off the cell plates, does that indicate it is working? If so,it sure does not seem to be producing much chlorine.
FC .5
pH 7.6
TA 22
CYA 35
CH 7
salt 2900 per pool store, Compupool display shows 7200???

The "cloud" is mostly made up of very small hydrogen bubbles. They are normal and harmless.

CYA at 35 is too low for use with a SWG. You want CYA up around 70 to 80 with a SWG.

Also, SWG are not really designed to raise FC up from zero. They are designed to maintain an FC level in an already balanced pool. Try manually adding chlorine to bring FC up to 7 or 8 and raising the CYA level and see how the SWG does from there.

Salt tests are not very reliable. It isn't at all uncommon for the numbers to be significantly different between different tests. Also, it takes a while, often 24 to 48 hours, with the pump running the whole time for salt to throughly mix into the pool and then more time for the SWG to settle down to the correct reading. If you haven't had your pump on that much the salt might not have all mixed in.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.