Leaky Strainer Cover on Northstar Pump

joelq

Mar 29, 2007
Hi all - I cleaned out the strainer of my Northstar pump yesterday, lubed the O-ring and replaced the cover. Now, water leaks out of the cover when the pump is turned off. I guess the seal on the cover isn't enough to hold the back pressure when the impeller stops.

The pump was perfectly fine before I took the cover off. The pump is one year old. Is it possible that the O-ring needs to be replaced already? I also noticed that Hayward doesn't sell the O-ring separately, and instead, you need to buy the whole cover assembly?

Thanks!

Joelq, this is normal for northstars :x and not a problem as long as you're not getting air into the pump while it's running - they are designed to fully seal under negative pressure not positive pressure. The other option is that the basket is not fully in - it has to line up just right on the notch in the back or it will keep the lid from seating properly.

They do make replacement seals for the lids that they sell separately SP - 4000 T (perhaps TS), but because they've switched the seal for an o-ring it only works for some lids :grrrr: :hammer: PITA!

Thanks, Waste - I messed with it a little bit more today, making sure the O-ring was completely clean of debris and it doesn't seem to leak as much, but still leaking.

So do you think Hayward has since redesigned the O-ring? Should I go ahead and bite the bullet and buy the complete cover assembly so I have an O-ring that works?

I get air in mine on low speed. Went to get a new seal a month ago and they wanted to sell me the whole lid. $80 for the lid because the seal leaks is "ridiculous." I'm going to pick up a pressure test o-ring that they came with, Pb threw it away when the pool was installed.

DaveNJ said:
I get air in mine on low speed. Went to get a new seal a month ago and they wanted to sell me the whole lid. $80 for the lid because the seal leaks is "ridiculous." I'm going to pick up a pressure test o-ring that they came with, Pb threw it away when the pool was installed.

Hi Dave - I was curious as to whether that would work or not. Please update us once you get the pressure test o-ring. Thanks!

Dave's advice sounds hauntingly familiar... :wink:

I'd say that that would be my first choice if the lid is pulling air while running - if it's not pulling air, I'd leave it be. The 'squirt' when the pump turns off is normal and not a problem!

(the part # is SP 4000 - T (TS) not 400 - I'm gonna go edit my mistake :oops: )

Bow at waist to waste, he did suggest this to me awhile ago. Mine always squirted changing speeds, the lid moves quite abit. To design a top to a pump that you can't just change the gasket is "stupid." Lets march on Hayward and demand a free retro-fit, for an existing problem. :twisted:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.