Translating this Greek

May 9, 2011
Ive read a lot of posts on here and the ABC's and I just cant get my brain to wrap around it. LOL Went to the pool store and here is what they said:
Alkalinity 75
TC 0.43
FC 0.40
cya 8

They said to add 6lb of Alkalinity Icreaser (Yeah baking soda) and then to add 2 lb of shock.
This just doesnt seem like that much chlorine to add with my levels being so low. They also said dont worry about the cya being 8 as it will go up with tabs. Should I tell them I am starting BBB? LOL What does a pond of shock translate to bleach? (one of the main things I dont get) is 1lb= to 1gal? The more I think about it the more confused I am getting, but I am not ready to give up yet. :hammer: Thanks for any help!

Also can you recycle bleach containers or are they trash?

It all depends on what the "shock" is. there are several items that they call shock so you can't really tell until you read the label. Your best bet is to use Liquid Shock (Just strong bleach) or regular old bleach and use the pool calc to figure out how much. And remember, shock is a process not a product!

You also need a good test kit of your own.

ajacob9425 said:
Also can you recycle bleach containers or are they trash?
Most bleach containers are recyclable plastic -- look for the number enclosed in a triangle of arrows at the bottom of the bottle. You could also check to see if your local pool store sells chlorinating liquid at a reasonable price and if they reuse the bottles which is better than recycling them. That's what I do with my local pool store that only charges a small deposit for the bottles and milk-carton-like case that is borrowed in the interim.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.