First Professional Water Test

Bart

LifeTime Supporter
Jan 24, 2010
Northern Virginia
I'm a new pool owner with a SWG. We opened it last fall and didn't do anything other than brush the gunite surface before it was closed for the season. A few weeks ago, the pool company put the salt in for the first time, but they didn't add any CYA. I've since added some. I just had my results by the local pool store and this is what they told me:

pH: 7.6
Chlorine 3 ppm
Alkalinity 140
Total Dissolved Solids: 3500
CYA: 25

How do those numbers look? I know I have to increase my CYA. The guy at the store suggested bringing it up to 40, but I believe that's about half of what is suggested in here.

The plaster is still curing and causing the pH to rise, so should I try to bring it down lower?

The guy at the pool store said all the results looked good, except the CYA, but I want to know the real truth!!

Thanks!

I'm going to go ahead and harp this just to get it out of the way. You really need your own good test kit! :)

Now that's done!

Your TA is high but in lowering the pH you'll lower the TA. However, if the pH is rising very fast you can purposefully lower the TA faster by aerating a lot to raise pH and adding more acid to lower it which lowers TA.

Other than your CYA the rest of the numbers look good. You should add enough CYA to get to about 70 ppm.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.