What did I do? Brownish stains on plastic stairs and jets

Apr 27, 2011
I am new here so please bear with me. I have read a lot. Ordered a new 2006 test kit and still awaiting arrival. I have a 16 by 32 in ground About 15,000 gallons. Cover basically collapsed into pool over winter. I had a lot of leaves and junk in the pool. I got all of it out. I bleached a bit. Probably about 400 ounces over 3 weeks. Added 72 ounces of Borax diluted into a 5 gallon bucket. 100 ounces (measured powder in a pitcher) of Baking soda. I noticed some brown staining on the stairs after a few days of adding the baking soda and borax. The newly inserted jets turned as well. I decided to stick 4 3 inch pucks into the skimmer. Almost seemed to make it worse. I have since removed them. My FC looks about 3 and the PH around 6.8. Using some old strips so not sure how accurate they are.

I read about the vitamin C test so I dropped a tab on the stairs last night. That section now looks pure white. I added 1 qt of pool time Algicide plus Plus (3.3% Copper, contains polymeric ployacrylate and gluconate stablizing agents) hoping maybe it was mustard algae. Not really seeing a ton of difference after about 4 hours of pump running.

Did I somehow add iron into the water? What did I do? The water seems clear and smells great. The brownish water/stain appear to tint the deep end (about 6ft) and cover the steps. Did I raise PH too fast or something?

Re: What did I do? Brownish stains on plastic stairs and jet

Welcome to the forum :lol: I suggest you stop putting things into your pool until you can test your water accurately. You should always know the results of your additions to the pool and you can't possibly know them because you don't know where you are starting from.

What we teach always begins with accurate testing. That the only way you can have a plan to correct what (if anything) needs correcting is to begin with accurate testing.

I have read a lot.
You need to read more. You are putting things in your pool that are not helping you and, in fact, are hurting you.

1. Get your 2006 kit in your hands and perform all the tests and post a set of those results.

2. Based on those results you post, you'll get good advice on what to do next

3. Absolutely stop putting copper in your pool. That can lead to a very big problem

4. Post up and tell us how many gallons in your pool. I'm gonna suggest you start adding some bleach daily but I won't know how much until you post the size of your pool.

I tried to upload some pics but it said it was invalid. The pool size was posted in the original. 16x32 and about 15,000 gallons. I was actually using the test strips while adding the BB&B so I'm surprised I was adding stuff that would hurt (beyond the left over pucks and Algicide).

Useful info:

DE filter (7 lbs of DE)
Hayward 1hp Super Pump (i believe it turns the pool over in 5 hours)
Vinyl liner (2 years old)
4 ft to 6 ft

Not to be harsh, but The vitamin C tablet told you what you had was metal staining and yet you added more copper.

Besides getting a full set of results with your K-2006 kit you need to take a sample to your local pool store and have it tested for metals. Post back the results and we'll help get things straightened out. :)

So, I'm not sure if I did this right as it is the first time with the kit. I also have not really put anything in the pool (outside of the Algecide) since I did the big load on opening.

1ppm FC
.5ppm CC
6.8 PH
40ppm TA
300ppm Calcium
80ppm CYA

Did not get to the pool store yet. Hoping tomorrow. Also looks like the stain may have lightened a bit.

You need to bring the pH and the TA up a bit.
The CYA is high but if you stay on top of the FC you can manage it.
That .5 CC bothers me a little but a little sun may make that go away.

How does the water look?

The water looks crystal clear but takes on a slight rust tint in the deep end. Again, it does seems a lot lighter than 2 weeks ago. That is why I hesitate doing any metal treatment.

If your K-2006 has arrived go ahead and run a full set of tests and post the results here.

With a CYA of 80 you need to get the FC up and keep it up.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Added Borax and Baking Soda. Waited 2 hours and tested PH and TA. Got 7.6PH and 80ppm TA. Probably should have added Borax first and retested both.

If you wind up doing an AA treatment you'll have to have zero FC while doing it but you want to keep the FC high enough until you start that process.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.