Help on closing a "take down" pool

luvmypool

LifeTime Supporter
Sep 23, 2007
North Conway, NH

We have a put up & take down Sand N Sun pool we purchased at Wally World this summer. I've always used (past 2 years) chlorine tablets and ph plus and my pool has always looked great. Around the first of July I thought I had sand in my pool and much to my chagrin...it's alge. I vacuumed added a liquid alge fighter and for a week it was fine but it came back as fast as it went. I really want my pool to be clean, clean, clean before I take it down and put away for the winter, any suggestions? What is this BBB method I keep reading about? Jason, Pool Mom....HELP PLEASE. :(

The key is to get a good test kit. To shock properly you need to know your CYA level and be able to measure FC seperately from CC. Get a good test kit, the TF Test Kit is great see the link in my signature, and post your numbers and I am sure we can help you fix things up.

BBB stands for bleach, borax, and baking soda. It is symbolic of an approach to pool care that uses inexpensive chemicals that you can buy at the grocery store (as much as possible), don't put in anything you don't need, and spend just a couple of minutes every day taking care of your pool in order to save money and have a beautiful pool. You can find more information about BBB in the Stickies section of the site, see the link in the sub-heading of each page.

If you don't have time, run over to WM or KM or Target and pick up one of their drops based kits. That will work fine until a good kit can be ordered.

My first suggestion is to get some bleach into that pool and run the filter for 24-36 hrs straight. One big jug to start, then while its working get to the store and buy a kit, then order a good kit.

When we used to have that type pool, we would always spray/clean the inside with bleach and a sponge before air drying, then fold sides in, roll up and put away. It was always a big job but I never had mold, mildew or algae when I opened in the spring.

Do you mean regular bleach like Clorox? How many gallons of bleach should I add and how long after should I wait before I test the pool water? I knew between you and Jason that I would get some good advise. Thanks for responding so quickly.

Thanks. I will go to WM on my lunch break and get the bleach and test kit. I assume that I should test the pool then use the pool calculator? I never realized how serious chemical pool maintenance was. Thanks for all your help Jason & Mom. My adoptive Mom passed away 2 days ago and one of my employees went into a diabetic sugar shock; I guess in the grand scheme of things this algee problem is nothing. Once again, I can't thank you all enough for the advice and support! Let me get through the next few days and I will let you know about how my pool is doing and will become a "lifer" of TFP.
luvmypool/Kate

how do you all get your pool info on the bottom of your messages?

It must be about time for you to get your pool down. If you got your water clear you can take it down. Or add some water and bleach to a spray bottle and wipe the insides down and dry them well. Taking down our pool is a pain but we have continued to put it up year after year. Making sure everything is clean and very dry before putting it away is the key to having a pool worth putting up the next year. We store ours in a basment that has some air circulation. Good luck and sorry for your loss. Kimrst

Okay, I picked up the HTH drop kit and wow my numbers and colors don't match anything. Here's what I got when I used the dip stick test.

Total Hardness 0--dark blue

Free Chlorine/Bromine 10/20--dark dark purple s/b light purple 2.4-3.6

PH 6.2 light orange s/b medium orange 7.2-7.5

Total Alkalinity 120 green-green s/b 80 light sage

Cyanuric Acid 20 light peach

The directions on on drop test kit is very limited so I compared the colors to the dip kit colors and you can see they are way off. I'm going to add a 96 oz jug of bleach and run my pump for several days to come, but I will test with the dip stick to see what changes. I run two business you would think I could figure out my pool chemicals. Maybe I'll change my name from luvmypool to pool idiot!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.