Waterway DE filter

TLC

May 10, 2011
MID MISSOURI
I'm completely stumped... which probaly doesn't take much because I don't know much about pools.... yet. : ) I opened up my pool over the weekend. It was a green algae mess. And I've been cleaning the filter frequently. I have the green gone for the most part and am now at a murky blue but my filter has stopped working. When I take it apart and get it back together it will shoot water out strongly for about 20 seconds and then nothing. Do you think my filter grids are just so dirty and need to be completely replaced? Or is there a better way to clean them besides just spraying them off. If anyone has any tips and tricks I would love to hear them. Thanks!

Welcome to TFP.

Here's an article in Pool School that deals specifically with D.E. filters. You need to disassemble and clean the grids well.

Tell us about all your equipment epsecially about the D.E. filter. Does it have a multiport valve or a slide valve? Can you backwash it? Are you adding DE back to it after each cleaning? etc.

Thank you and Thank you for pointing me to the article. I think it will be very helpful. I was honestly hoping when I got the pool I could fake it, but that seems not to be the case. I will be spending a lot of time in pool school. lol I love the BBB method.
My DE filter system is an Aqua-star by Waterway with a 1/5 HP pump. It is a grid assembly with 67 GPM ( I have to say this is what I'm assuming because that is what my invoice says. I'm not finding anything on my actual filter specifically saying that or on the paperwork.) The filter system is very simple and from my little knowledge I don't think back washing is possible. It has a pressure guage, a release valve and one drain.
This morning I went out and turned it on and there is flow, however not overly strong. I'm going to give it a thorough cleaning and see what that does. Again thanks for your help. T

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.