Pool depth slopes

It's easy enough to do vertical, you'd have to check local codes. We installed a therapy pool like you describe, years ago.... and the only requirement was a safety rope 1' back from the dropoff to prevent someone from walking off the edge - however this was a therapy pool so there was no diving and the patients were supervised the entire time, which could make a difference.

If you're planning a diving pool slamming your head into a vertical wall offers more risk of a broken neck than scraping your chin on a slope does.

Check the codes and build to the codes!

HTH :)

I have no plans for a diving board. But I do want an 8' deep end for general diving off the side and goofing around. The transition from the shallow end from 6' to 8' seems a little like wasted space. It would be nice to keep the shallow (3 1/2' to 5') as long as possible, then a fairly steep slope down. (not vertical) I was just wondering if there was some physical reason it was tough to do, or just standards and codes.

Belldiver said:
I have no plans for a diving board. But I do want an 8' deep end for general diving off the side and goofing around. The transition from the shallow end from 6' to 8' seems a little like wasted space. It would be nice to keep the shallow (3 1/2' to 5') as long as possible, then a fairly steep slope down. (not vertical) I was just wondering if there was some physical reason it was tough to do, or just standards and codes.

The reason is that if a poor swimmer gets started on the slope, they can't stop. I've been standing neck deep in my pool and had to swim to return to the shallow end. buoyancy keeps your feet from getting any traction on the bottom.

Belldiver said:

It can be done. Just tell your pool builder you want more of a "spoon" shape than a gradual slope. My excavator asked me which I prefer since I wasn't getting a diving pool. I asked for the spoon. I only went 7 foot deep and I'm sorry I didn't go the full 8.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.